Upper 6/lower 6?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gap

Upper 6/lower 6?

#1 Post by Gap »

I had my second pre-braces appointment today (made casts, x-rays, all sorts of fun stuff - I didn't need spacers, woo!). I feel less inclined to ask my ortho stuff about my treatment, I think, because he's a colonel in the Army (he outranks me just a little, heh), so I hope you all can answer just a couple questions.

When he left, he told the nurse my next visit my "upper and lower 6 will be bonded". Does that mean I'm just getting braces in my upper and lower front six teeth? And, if so, is that usual? Is it likely I'll get everything braced up in the future?

And... I was told I have a class 3 bite. Is class 3 worse than class 2? Does anyone know the implications of this?

Braces next Tuesday! Thanks for the help.

Gap

#2 Post by Gap »

Oh! Well, now I know what a class III is. I searched high and low, and finally found this: http://www.unc.edu/depts/appl_sci/ortho ... ngles.html. I find it interesting because although I have an 'underbite' (front top molar behind bottom lower molar), my front top teeth actually go over my bottom teeth. Very strange!

Still curious about only getting the upper 6 and lower 6 done, if anyone has any insight.

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

CONGRATS!!

I assume you will be completely braced at some point in the future.

Class III isn't worse than Class II, it's different.

Class II is an overjet...where the upper jaw is farther in front of the lower than it should be. Image

Class III is, for lack of a better term, an under-jet. sort of the opposit of the above.

Hope this helps!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Gap

#4 Post by Gap »

Thanks Jenn and KK :) I guess I need to start being more nosy, I just feel like I'm imposing somehow...? I don't know, I'll definitely be a lot more questioning when I get braced up next Tuesday. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding the ortho lingo right so I know a little of what to expect! Kinda sweet only getting the front braced first anyway, less risk of mouth sores, I think. Ah, well, thanks again!

flipib05

#5 Post by flipib05 »

hi Gap
bonded upper and lower 6/6 means that you are getting your front 12 teeth on the top bonded and front 12 teeth on the bottom. If you are counting on your top teeth starting on the front right tooth and count back to the sixth tooth, that is 6. And it goes to your second molar. so 6+6+6+6=24 teeth bonded. 6 is half of your arch that you are getting bonded. I hope this makes sense.

Gap

#6 Post by Gap »

flipib05 wrote:hi Gap
bonded upper and lower 6/6 means that you are getting your front 12 teeth on the top bonded and front 12 teeth on the bottom. If you are counting on your top teeth starting on the front right tooth and count back to the sixth tooth, that is 6. And it goes to your second molar. so 6+6+6+6=24 teeth bonded. 6 is half of your arch that you are getting bonded. I hope this makes sense.
Thanks a ton for your response. :) That does make a lot of sense, I was so curious because after reading everything and all the geometry that goes into getting braces, it would have been very weird to only have 12 teeth braced!

Meryaten - Yes, I'm in the Army. I shouldn't be intimidated, but I've always been intimidated by doctors/dentists, so the added factor of this guy being a bajillion ranks higher than me is a little cringe worthy. :oops: I did question the nurse a bit more, who's a very nice civilian lady, and she was very impressed with my knowledge. I even asked about lig colors, and she was happy I even knew what ligs were! I turned her on to this website, and I kind of hope to spread the word around here (I'm stationed at West Point, the Army's officer service academy for those who don't know) because a lot of cadets and soldiers get braces when they come in for obvious reasons - it's free. On my B-day, I think I'm going to bring in a list of questions so I don't forget any.

Kiwi - You know, I've been lurking on this website for a while (I'm a little shy, I'll admit it!) and I've read all your wonderful advice, so yes... I have been doing salt water rinses! I haven't noticed any change now, since my teeth are naked, but I'm sure they're going to help come B-day and thereafter. My little salt container and cup by my sink at home are all 'cause of you. :D

I'm so excited, I want to get this going!