Cleaning between blocks when "train-tracked"

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gemz

Cleaning between blocks when "train-tracked"

#1 Post by Gemz »

How do you do it?

I have the most annoying something stuck between my top two teeth and no matter how much I clean it, it just won't come out and I don't want anything stuck there rotting

Any ideas?

Betty Bat

#2 Post by Betty Bat »

FLOSS!

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Gemz - I use those proxy brushes like Meryaten just mentioned, which are great for cleaning stuff from round the brackets. You can get them in Superdrug or Boots, or online. They come in different sizes to suit your needs.
I also floss every night which takes care of anything which might be stuck in tight gaps between teeth.

Girlinterrupted

#4 Post by Girlinterrupted »

I'm confused. I got told by my ortho not to floss :S

Girlinterrupted

#5 Post by Girlinterrupted »

Something to do with breaking the archwire or something. I was quite confused :shock:

ladylee

#6 Post by ladylee »

My, I agree with Braced, you really need to call your ortho, I know mine preaches about flossing regulary. :-1

bracesafter40

#7 Post by bracesafter40 »

I'd agree. Call your Ortho right away. Flossing is a pain, but necessary as stuff do stick in your teeth and will cause decay if not removed. It takes me about 15 minutes now each night, aargh...
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

SnowSara

#8 Post by SnowSara »

Did he just mean to not try and floss normally, meaning you have to thread under the archwire first? I can see advising not to floss for the first couple of days, you're pretty tender then, but after that there's no reason not to!!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

ladylee

#9 Post by ladylee »

Actually, I found that my mouth feels better after I floss, specially when things are sore and irritated.

WiredforSound

#10 Post by WiredforSound »

I couldn't live without my Proxy brush! It gets all sorts of stuff out that brushing doesn't.

I too feel better after flossing. It is a hassle to do but my mouth feels good afterwards!! My Ortho preaches about the importance of flossing!!
[/url]

SnowSara

#11 Post by SnowSara »

I couldn't live without my Proxy brush! It gets all sorts of stuff out that brushing doesn't.
Ain't it the truth, I swear I have one in every drawer and pocket within my reach!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Clairey Fairey

#12 Post by Clairey Fairey »

I'm confused. I got told by my ortho not to floss
I have been told this too!! My ortho said 'you can't floss whilst in braces' didn't give a reason though, i assume it's just because the wire is in the way. Although everyone on here seems to manage ok. I think I'll mention it at my next appointment!

I was given an orthodontic toothbrush which has too ends, one has a toothbrush end and the other has a small brush thingy the other end which is used to get inbetween the brackets to remove any food. (kind of like that proxy brush) I always make sure I have a good scrub between my teeth with this brush. They are avaliable on www.orthoshop.co.uk

Clairey Fairey

#13 Post by Clairey Fairey »

Just noticed - You can gets a orthodontic flossing pack from there too :D

Sorry about all these posts Please delete one I thought I'd stopped this one from posting.
Last edited by Clairey Fairey on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clairey Fairey

#14 Post by Clairey Fairey »

Just noticed - You can get a orthodontic flossing pack from there too :D

Girlinterrupted

#15 Post by Girlinterrupted »

Clairey Fairey wrote:
I'm confused. I got told by my ortho not to floss
I have been told this too!! My ortho said 'you can't floss whilst in braces' didn't give a reason though, i assume it's just because the wire is in the way. Although everyone on here seems to manage ok. I think I'll mention it at my next appointment!

I was given an orthodontic toothbrush which has too ends, one has a toothbrush end and the other has a small brush thingy the other end which is used to get inbetween the brackets to remove any food. (kind of like that proxy brush) I always make sure I have a good scrub between my teeth with this brush. They are avaliable on www.orthoshop.co.uk
Phew! I thought I was the only one lol

xx