got my metal grill!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

freckles01

got my metal grill!

#1 Post by freckles01 »

hi!

i just came back from getting the full brackets and wires. went with the metal vs ceramic.

i'm 36 years old and the braces make me look like a teenager.

they said no chocolate or soda- degrades the cement. is this for the whole time i have the braces?

i took tylenol so i feel ok except for the odd feeling of all this metal. i have to keep consciously pull my lips over the metal. i did start the salt rinses last week, so hopefully this will help prevent any sores.

love this site!

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

I agree with Maryaten. Rinse and brush regularly and you will be fine.

I ate plenty of chocolate and had 1 diet soda a day plus I drank coffee and tea daily as well.

My only problems seemed to come from a crouton incident and a sneeze...both knocked off brackets.

You'll do fine!

Welcome aboard!! Image
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Clairey Fairey

#3 Post by Clairey Fairey »

Welcome, freckles! And congratulations!

Quote:
they said no chocolate or soda- degrades the cement. is this for the whole time i have the braces?

Er ...

This sounds more like a tale they tell the kiddie patients to try to scare them.
Thats a relief!! My ortho also said no chocolate, when she saw the look on my face she assured me that what she ment was no chewing, sticky chocolate like snickers bars etc!

So yey alls well in the world of chocolate eating :D

Clairey Fairey

#4 Post by Clairey Fairey »

Yey - heres to more chocolate eating!! :-)

lz

#5 Post by lz »

I got braces today too :) They told me as long as I brush good that the no soda thing was mostly for the kid patients :)

skyclad

Maybe....

#6 Post by skyclad »

Freckles you said that you feel like a teenager, I am hoping I will look more like one...maybe just maybe I will start getting carded again. Tee hee...keeping a sense of humor.
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath

skyclad

HaHa

#7 Post by skyclad »

KK,
I am 32 and haven't been carded for quite some time.
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath

loulou123

#8 Post by loulou123 »

I agree with all the above posts, while im not necessary advising it i manage to eat pretty much everything i ate before braces...the only things i havent been able to eat (well actually havent tried) are whole apples and toffee.

I would warn anyone near the beginning of there treament tho to be abit more careful when biting hard things due to the wire being thinner and less strong as i snapped my archwire twice in 24hours at the beginning once eating cheese football crisps and once just eating regular crisps!

Ps i have eaten a snickers...oops! :D

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

becks

#9 Post by becks »

Hello, My name is Rebecca and I have a horrible addiction to diet vanilla pepsi. I dare my ortho to keep me from drinking it. I do drink it with a straw though...straight from the glass to the back of my throat completely by passing the teeth :D That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Wait 30 minutes, then brush? Heck after 30 minutes it's time for another gulp :wink:

Seriously though, I'd never heard of the 30 minute waiting thing. *sigh* I gotta find a 12-step program for this! :shock:
Braced ~ March 13, 2007

freckles01

metal grill

#10 Post by freckles01 »

thanks for the replies,

my orthodontist gave me a generic one page of do's/don't regarding food. chocolate goes under the avoid eating category and soft drinks under the maybe. but i will use my discretion and follow the aftercare advise for indulgements.

actually, i was all obsessed initially over possibly being denied until i tried to eat something.

christ, my teeth hurt! front, sides and back. i barely conquered campbells chicken noodle soup last night.

they feel alright when i'm not doing anything, just a dull ache.

i've got a perfect pineapple begging to be eaten, drats.

anyways thanks, freckles.

cally

#11 Post by cally »

Zip that pineapple up into a smoothie! I've been doing that the last 2 days with all sorts of fruit I'd normally be eating. Cally