My bracket came loose

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tracy729

My bracket came loose

#1 Post by tracy729 »

One of my bracket became unglued. The wire is the only thing holding it from falling out. Has this happened to anybody. I sure hope my orthodontist can see me tomorrow to glue to back on.

This stinks - I made it 6 months with no problems and now this.

tracy729

#2 Post by tracy729 »

Thanks for the advice. I will call them first thing tomorrow morning when I get to work. My next adjustment is in 6 weeks. Could I wait that long with the bracket not glued to the tooth?

Here is a silly question: could I still brush that one tooth? Just be gentle?

Thanks again

starryadora

#3 Post by starryadora »

No...I don't think they would want you to wait 6 weeks to get that fixed;) That is a long time for that tooth to miss out on movement! Plus, if you have an archwire change scheduled for your next appt. they might not be able to progress to your next archwire if that tootj isn't where they expect it to be. Give them a call...I am sure they will be more than happy to schedule you a quick appt to put that back on;)

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~

becks

#4 Post by becks »

Agree w/ the previous advice. It's really not a huge deal and yes you can still brush it, floss around it, eat with the tooth, etc.
Braced ~ March 13, 2007

bracesafter40

Re: My bracket came loose

#5 Post by bracesafter40 »

tracy729 wrote:One of my bracket became unglued. The wire is the only thing holding it from falling out. Has this happened to anybody. I sure hope my orthodontist can see me tomorrow to glue to back on.

This stinks - I made it 6 months with no problems and now this.
Tracy, call your Ortho immediately. I lost a bracket last Friday and had it replaced on Monday as they were not available until then. Loose brackets delays your treatment, so get back in that chair as soon as possible. Mine really poked me all weekend.
The initial missing story - http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com/2007/ ... acket.html
The repair story - http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com/2007/ ... r-now.html

Good luck with it; 6 weeks is too long to wait to get it glued back on!
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

bracesafter40

#6 Post by bracesafter40 »

Got you KiwiK. I talked with my Ortho about this very thing when I got my bottoms and she told me that losing a bracket will slow things down as that bracket not being in place will not allow the tooth to move properly.

So when I lost one a day later, I called right away.
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

tracy729

Just an update

#7 Post by tracy729 »

I called my ortho's office this morning before 9am and had an appointment at 9:30am. They replaced the bracket.

I still do not know what caused the bracket to pop off.

Oh well - here's hoping to another 18 months of no more broken brackets.