" It's Just Braces"...Vent

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CanehdianGal

" It's Just Braces"...Vent

#1 Post by CanehdianGal »

Am I the only one who feels this way...

Whenever I'm complaining or talking about the braces etc..Everyone is like " Oh it's just braces..You'll get used to it blah blah blah...Hellooooooooo try having metal wires and pressure in your mouth!

I know things could be alot worse but I can just scream when friends/people say..." It's just braces".

jenfire

#2 Post by jenfire »

The only person I complain to is my husband. I think he knows better than to say "they're only braces." Of course, I also had an expander for over a year...he's been very sympathetic about it all.

I wonder if your friends ever had braces...maybe they just cannot empathize with how you're feeling. Sometimes there can be a lot of pain (I'm now feeling it with these elastics).

Good luck! :D
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

CanehdianGal

#3 Post by CanehdianGal »

"For most of my clients this is their lives and they have to live with the diseases and disabilities that they have until they die. "

I know I can be alot worse off...That is what I have to keep saying to myself.

This is a great place to vent I agree!

CanehdianGal

#4 Post by CanehdianGal »

I wonder if your friends ever had braces...maybe they just cannot empathize with how you're feeling. Sometimes there can be a lot of pain (I'm now feeling it with these elastics).

Hi Jen...A few had braces in their teens..I think as adults it's worse..IMO.

Not sure if u mean spacer/elastics or the elastics bands..That's what I'm going through now top 2 attached to the botton front teeth..Not fun.
Last edited by CanehdianGal on Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

momof2grlz

#5 Post by momof2grlz »

I know what you're saying and totally agree about people being insensitive to what we're going through. But, I have to say that with only 20 days left in my sentence, I've gotten so used to having them that I feel like "It's just braces" most of the time. I learned how to deal with the aggravation of eating, cleaning, etc. and the pain from time to time. You really do get so that you forget you have them.

Hopefully, one day during your journey you'll be able to say "It's just braces - no big deal". That's a good day!

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

jabberwocky

#6 Post by jabberwocky »

braces can be so frustrating...
at least once a day since getting them i end up asking myself "why am i doing this to myself?"

i miss food.
i don't derive any pleasure from it anymore and that makes me sad. Stuff still tastes good, but the texture is gone. all i feel is sharp pointy metal jabbing into my tongue. I always wanted to adopt the "food is fuel" perspective, but now that I'm living it, it makes me depressed.
Oh the upside though, i haven't been this thin since high school.
So, that's cool.
i guess...

SnowSara

#7 Post by SnowSara »

I've lost like 13 pounds, and I'm not really sure why! I eat what I want and always have, perhaps a little slower and more carefully, so maybe I'm getting full on less food? And a lot of times I'll turn down food if I've just brushed because I don't want to do it all over again. So strange to lose this much weight though! At my yearly doc checkup this week the doctor wanted to do a blood test just to make sure there was nothing wrong with my thyroid or anything (which there wasn't).

In the 2 short months I've had braces I've never regretted it or felt bad about myself. I allow myself to feel pain of course, but knowing that it's just part of the treatment I don't complain much and just plug on through.

I can't stress enough how much salt water rinses help. After my last adjustment I got a new wire and therefore some new pointy parts and it just ripped my tongue up. The rinses helped me heal fast and start eating normally again within a couple days.

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!! Stay positive! :D :D :D

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Boolajoojoo

#8 Post by Boolajoojoo »

So far the only people who have offered up the "You'll get used to it." comment to me are people that have had braces in the past, so at least they have some credibility. I haven't been complaining much, but I turned down popcorn the other day (Very unlike me!) and my friends were like "You'll start eating whatever you want again once you get used to the braces." That was cool of them I guess.

SnowSara

#9 Post by SnowSara »

I think there are lots of hidden reasons for my weight loss, and all of them are a lifestyle change. In no way am I going hungry at all, in the beginning the way I ate started to change and I am realizing that I probably ate too much before. Portion control! And yes, once I've brushed after a meal I don't really feel like eating again and doing it all over, I love the fresh feeling! So the only thing having braces has done is stopped me from eating some "naughty" snacks that I know I shouldn't have anyway. Also, totally unrelated to my braces, I've stopped drinking as much beer, which probably has had the most impact of anything. I'm a very active person so have always eaten as much as I wanted, relying on my activity and metabolism to take care of the rest. But I guess it can always be better!

SnowSara

#10 Post by SnowSara »

Ooops, sorry if that sounds defensive, just wanted to explain that I am making some lifestyle changes, too! ;)

I totally miss popcorn, and no matter how many people who had braces as kids tell me that they ate popcorn anyway, I won't do it!

Pepper

#11 Post by Pepper »

I neeeeever talk about my braces or teeth to anyone... That is, unless they ask.

But just come on here to talk about 'em - you'll get plenty of replies and people who can relate to ya.

CanehdianGal

#12 Post by CanehdianGal »

Thankyou so much everyone for your replys...I've definatly come to the right place to " vent". Hugs~

Clairey Fairey

#13 Post by Clairey Fairey »

A lot of my friends say 'its just braces' but they had them when they were teenagers and were surrounded by other teenagers going through the same thing.

What they forget is that its a lot harder being an adult in braces because its a lot less common and if you work with the public you will get noticed a lot!!

Because they had them 10 years ago they now feel 'qualified' to say 'its just braces'....

Oh well I don't really mind to be honest, just thought I'd share that with you anyways...