Questions about elastics!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VS26

Questions about elastics!!!

#1 Post by VS26 »

Hi,guys.Yesterday I got a new addition---elastics!!!My question is-----when did you start noticing changes?And the second question is---I was told to wear it 24-7,but it is not possible---i cant eat with it,and i am taking it for brushing----do you think it is ok????Thank you.

jennandtonic

#2 Post by jennandtonic »

It's probably all right that you take it out for eating, and it's DEFINITELY all right that you take it out while brushing.

I wear mine while eating, some people can, some people can't, but I do because I KNOW that if I don't I will forget to put them back in after meals, so it's easier for me that way.

I noticed movement within three days after I got my first elastic. The elastic was to fix an aspect of my bite and I could feel the difference in how I was biting and how some of my teeth fit together.

jenfire

#3 Post by jenfire »

I also got elastics for the first time this past Tuesday. My orthodontist said 24-7 wear but I can take them out for eating and brushing. I think it would probably be ok for you as well...you may check with your orthodontist (or the assistant).

Good luck! :)
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

CanehdianGal

#4 Post by CanehdianGal »

I also got elastics this week (24/7) after my first adjusment..I was shocked and still getting used to it because there in the front top2 /bottom 2. I was told I can take out just one elastic to it..I've been taking out both and sometimes just one. My teeth r still very sore so it's mostly soft, mashed, protein shakes etc..

The one thing I noticed which i mentioned in my post down below ..There was movement withen hrs that I am not happy about. My open bite which was closing a little is back to being opened. The elastics in front , I don't notice a change yet..It's been 5 days.

SDFD TSchott

#5 Post by SDFD TSchott »

When I had my elastics for 8 weeks I was told that I need to keep them in for 24/7 well I kept them in while eating and everything the only time I took them out was to brush, I'm sure you can take them out to eat and brush.

~Tim~

Just after your done eating/brushing put new elastics back in.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

jess214

#6 Post by jess214 »

I was just given elastics for the first time on this past Tuesday, and I was told that I should wear them 24/7 apart from when I eat and when I brush (obviously). But I've pretty much been wearing them even when I eat - I'm just too lazy to take them out and put them back in. It gets kind of gross tho : P But yeah, I hope it doesn't make too much of a difference that I'm not taking them out (when eating) like my dentist told me to..
braced w/ ceramic brackets & wire ligs - 28th Nov, 06
debanded! + Essix retainers - 5th Nov, 08