Can you clean too much?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lz

Can you clean too much?

#1 Post by lz »

I clean my teeth (brushing with the fancy ortho toothbrush thingy and regular brush and rinsing with salt water) every time after I eat. Then I do it all at night plus floss.
Can you clean too much?

Also does each adjustment hurt THIS much I just got braced yesterday so the pressure is BAD!! It really hurts. I'm eating well though. Just wondering if this is what I should expect every 8 weeks for the next 16-18months?

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

The worst pain I felt was when I got a rectangular wire. That was truly awful. NO amount of water with or without salt was going to help me with that one!

The good news was that 3 days later my mouth felt fine again!!!

I worried about the level of pain (discomfort for some, pain for me) was going to be as bad as it was with the installation of the hardware.

All other adjustments went along without anything more than "tightness" for about an hour. No pain at all.

You'll do fine! REALLY!! Image
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Clairey Fairey

#3 Post by Clairey Fairey »

Yeah I've heard that the most pain is experianced either with spacers or when the brace first goes on. Then adjustments aren't that bad.

Haven't had an adjustment yet though so can't say for sure!!

lz

#4 Post by lz »

Such a relief!! Thanks!!
Now I just worry about resorption :(

jennielee81

#5 Post by jennielee81 »

Hey Iz,

Advice that a wonderful woman once told me as her husband was being treated for a serious disease, "worrying changes nothing, it just makes NOW unbearable."

I used this advice when my husband had cancer. It was amazingly freeing. She was right and my husband has been cancer free for 8 years now. Thanks to her wise words, I didn't spent that year worrying for nothing. And I don't worry about things I have no control over anymore.

Blessings to you!!

Jenn
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Clairey Fairey

#6 Post by Clairey Fairey »

lz wrote:Such a relief!! Thanks!!
Now I just worry about resorption :(
Whats Resorption??

lz

#7 Post by lz »

jennielee,
great advice. i just would hate to think that this treatment would cause more trouble for me esp. after spending SO much money. I'm starting to second guess what I have done and think -should I just go have them taken off ugh! I know its crazy...
Losing more teeth is just so scary to me. I wish that someone could ease my mind but I no one seems to know alot about resorption if I am supseptable to it since it happened to me before, its so unpredictable :(

BTW How long does this soreness of getting braces first put on last? It seems to be getting less and less achy should I be totally normal in a week would ya think?

lz

#8 Post by lz »

Got this from googling cause I cant explain things well.
root resorption is the breakdown or destruction, and subsequent loss, of the root structure of a tooth. This is caused by living body cells attacking part of the tooth. When the damage extends to the whole tooth, it is called tooth resorption. Root resorption is very difficult to treat and often requires the extraction of teeth.

I have lost my bottom front tooth due to root resorption this is what pushed me to get braces to fill the gap it was the best option my dentist said, this is why I'm scared of it so much its happened before and its AWFUL!

Clairey Fairey

#9 Post by Clairey Fairey »

Oh no!! That sucks!!

Well its deinately good advice by Jennielee not to worry about it as you have no control over it. You don't want to waste your time in braces worrying about something that may never happen.

Good Luck with your treatment :D

lz

#10 Post by lz »

Thanks for posting that,
so would you say Damons were a bad choice since they work faster or does that not really matter?

lz

#11 Post by lz »

I'm trying not to worry :P
I slept all night last night and my mouth didnt hurt this morning.
Just a little bit of soreness nothing like yesterday morning.

joney

#12 Post by joney »

worrying changes nothing, it just makes NOW unbearable."
Love that quote
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

lz

#13 Post by lz »

Well just for the record :P
Today has been GREAT
I have only taken tylenol once!! I had oatmeal for breakfast then a bbq rib sandwich for lunch took a while but I ate it all plus french fries. I've been eating pretty normal though from the start.
But my pain is getting less and less. I'm so glad too :)
I've decided not to worry anymore that everything will indeed be ok :)
THANKS!!

jennielee81

#14 Post by jennielee81 »

Awsome Iz!!

Here's to a boring treatment journey!! Image no Pain and LOTS of GAIN!!

lz

#15 Post by lz »

jennie thanks,
I actually ate more then just 3 meals today.
I had a bowl of ceral and a banana extra today :P
Its geting lots better each passing hour!!
I have brushed like 5 times today :lol: cant stand that feeling of food in my wires.