Is anyone correcting a mild problem?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SecondTimer

#16 Post by SecondTimer »

Bracesat35,

Your situation is similar to mine. I had braces as a teen and over time, the lower teeth became crowded again. I just couldn't stand looking at them in the mirror knowing that a few years ago they were perfectly straight.

I went to several orthos for consultations, trying to find one that could treat just the lower teeth. They all said the same thing, however, that both arches had to be treated (the uppers have to be flared a little to make room for the lowers) They all also said that only the front six teeth would need braces.

Like you, I decided that I could deal with that so I picked one of the orthos and proceeded. He charges less for this 'Limited Treatment' that's expected to take less than a year. There was a little bit of a surprise when he presented the final treatment plan after taking records though - he decided it would be easier for him to just go ahead and place braces on all the teeth including molar bands so he would have 'more control'. The ortho said it would actually make the treatment faster since he'd be able to expand the upper arch a little which I gather is not possible with brackets on just the front six teeth. He actually gave me the option of not banding and bracketing the back teeth, but strongly encouraged the comprehensive option. Since he didn't increase the price, I went along with the change in plans.

The extra brackets and bands do not bother me; you can't see them as they're on the bicuspids and molars; it's just that it took a little getting used to the idea of having a full set of braces vs braces on just the front teeth.

betty

#17 Post by betty »

Thank you so much! I am having braces fitted on Friday and my greatest fear has been that it is only a minor problem. All my friends have told me I am crazy it and that my teeth are just a part of who I am, and that they aren't that bad. I hate the thought of everyone thinking I am being really vain.

Reading this discussion has made me feel much better. I will get them on Friday and hopefully will get used to them quickly too.

Thanks for posting this message!

onedayperfect

#18 Post by onedayperfect »

Do it for yourself and no one else! My teeth werent really that bad, but everytime I ran my tongue over my crooked lowers! I really wanted them sorting! even though you cant see themwhen I speak! Everyone told me stop been stupid and I shouldnt get any braces, now once I have them everyone is supportive and interested in my treatmeant.

tdjaco

#19 Post by tdjaco »

I completely agree with all the other posts that if you want to correct your teeth than it's up to you. You're only 35 years old, and hopefully you'll have another 50 years (or more) of life and 50 years with your natural teeth. If it bothers you now, just think of it bothering you every day for the next 50 years, or you could just go ahead and fix it in a year or two. If it's important to you, it's worth it. (and by the way, I had braces when I was 12-14 and I've decided to do it again at 28). Just go ahead and do it. In my experience, the longer you wait, the more frustrated you'll get.
War Eagle!!

jumbie

#20 Post by jumbie »

I am like most of you guys as well. Second Timer I have said exactly what you have said many a time....that it bother me that a few years ago my teeth were perfect and now they're not.
My condition is very mild as well..check pics on blog...crowding on my bottom teeth is my main concern. I thought I would have been able to just do the bottom to off set some costs but my ortho pointed out some flaws on my uppers that I figured I might as well fix if i'm going for it anyway.
I got my ceramic uppers the day before yesterday and have to wear them for a while to correct my deep overbite before I can start on the real problem areas on the bottom. I am really glad I tightened my belt and spent the money cause as someone said, I can't stand the thought of having to look at it get worse everyday for the rest of my life.My mom has almost the exact tooth structure as me. She has teh same tooth displaced that I have and looking at her is like looking at myself in the future. Its not that her teeth are bad but its noticable and I have the opprtunity to fix it before I get to that stage.
I really don't care if people think i'm vain. Most people would say they saw nothing wrong with my teeth as well since the overbite hid the crooked ones. But I doubt anyone would think that 5 years from now.
Banded 7th March 2007
Braced 12th April 2007-Ceramic uppers
Braced 7th May 2007-Metal lowers
http://bracefacejumbie.blogspot.com

ChooChooo

#21 Post by ChooChooo »

I am almost 30 and also have been asked 'why are you in braces? There was nothing wrong with your teeth!'. To which I usually mumble something about bite issues (which isn't the case at all, I just don't want to go into details that make me seem vain). In hindsight I guess I am but whatever! :lol: I have slightly crooked lowers (not anymore after 4 months of braces LOL) and some spaces in the top. OF course no one noticed because I had corrected them temporarily with bonding). Now I am concerned how the small amount of contouring I received on my top front teeth is going to effect my treatment. :?

SDFD TSchott

#22 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I didn't read all the replies here but I thought that I would let you know that I didn't really need braces however I did have 4 molars extracted and I didn't want to have the gaps there for long time so I went in and had braces put on and also to fix my very minor crowding on the lower jaw. So as a few posts I read its a personal choice. If you think you need braces or want braces then go for it.

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

SnowSara

#23 Post by SnowSara »

While everyone has been very supportive, some people are very surprised to see me in braces and exclaim, "I never would have thought you needed braces!" And then I feel I need explain why I have them :evil:

But it really doesn't matter, because for me my gaps were getting wider by the year and I didn't like my smile anymore, which was heartbreaking. It doesn't matter to me if no one else even notices when I get them off. This is just for me and I'm smiling more than ever in my braces and am looking forward to being proud of my smile again!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.