What happens on Vacation/problems

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CanehdianGal

What happens on Vacation/problems

#1 Post by CanehdianGal »

Has this happened to anyone..Lets say your on Vacation and your wires break etc..

I might be heading to Boston this summer for a few weeks and of course I'm worrying already if something will break or needs to be filed down/poking wires etc.

Has this happened to anyone when on vacation? Should I ask my ortho if he knows of anyone in that city. I know it will cost a fortune to fix any repairs since I have to pay in US dollars.

Jillianleab

#2 Post by Jillianleab »

CanehdianGal I agree with the things Karen said, there's really no reason to worry about something going wrong. I've done some traveling since being braced and only once did I have a problem; my wire popped out of a bracket. I called my orthos office and told them what happened and they said it should be fine until I got back. It was :)

If your trip is planned for right before an adjustment and you are worried about pokey wires you could probably make a quick appointment to get them trimmed before you leave. Other than that there aren't any proactive steps you can take; other than continuing to care for your teeth the way you do at home.

As long as you don't make any big changes to your routine you should be fine, and if something goes wrong it probably can wait until you return home. A bracket that pops off, wire that comes loose; all of it isn't a dire emergency. But, if something big does happen and you have to get it looked at right away, call around to orthos in the area and see who can help you for what price. Oh, and is the US dollar/Canadian dollar exchange rate that bad??? Last I looked it was about $1.13!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

CanehdianGal

#3 Post by CanehdianGal »

Thankyou everyone..Your advice is much appreciated. My middle name should be " worry"..I also think way ahead of myself..what's if etc..

My 2nd wire adjustment is June 20th..I plan to go away last week july/first week in august..So when I get back I'll have my 3rd adjust. Oh and he told me, end of Aug it's time to put in the tongue spurs..I delayed him long enough. :(

skyclad

well

#4 Post by skyclad »

at least you wont have the tongue spurs while on vacay. That would blow goats.
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath

Kat

#5 Post by Kat »

I go on trips and EVERY time I think the same thing. I guess I will call my ortho and see what he says to do. I know if its a bad break or something I will just fix it myself until I can make it to the orthos office, like cut the wire off if I absoultly have to. Maybe your ortho knows another ortho in the area you trip to. Depends how bad the break is, is to what you are up against.