Quick question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jayne

Quick question

#1 Post by Jayne »

Me again!! (You're all gonna be so sick of me in a few months, lol).

Anyway, you know one of my brackets fell off? Well I got it fixed but my dentist put it on slightly lower than the adjoining one. Now I've noticed that that tooth appears to have shrunk! :shock: It's slightly shorter than the other one and the brackets have evened out so it's definitely moved upwards.

Is that normal or just plain weird? I don't see my dentist for another 2 weeks yet but I don't want my tooth "shrinking" any higher than it is already if its not supposed to, help!!

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

The wire will try and regain its original shape, so if a bracket has been put in slightly the wrong place then yes, the wire will cause the tooth to extrude from or intrude into the gum slightly.
But brackets are often repositioned during treatment to make fine adjustments, so I wouldn't fret about it right now. Just mention it next time you go, as that tooth can easily be brought back down again by putting the bracket back where it was before, or bending the wire slightly if needed later on in treatment.

Jayne

#3 Post by Jayne »

Thank you so much for the swift response!! :D

I've spent the last few hours watching a slideshow I made of my tooth moving upwards and worrying myself sick! :roll: My problem is that I hate my teeth so much I wanted them extracted but of course my dentist recommended braces. So every time there's a slight change I keep thinking this is a waste of time and money. But I guess I should learn to trust my dentist, right?

Jayne

#4 Post by Jayne »

Thanks for the reply Meryaten. :)

It was my right central tooth that lost the bracket. Here's a pic of my two front teeth. As you can see, it's noticeably shorter than the other one now.

And this is my two front teeth last week.....

I haven't posted a pic of my whole smile because I hate it SO much, it's too gummy (which I'm getting fixed) and my teeth are so spaced apart it's ridiculous!!

Jayne

#5 Post by Jayne »

:D Thank you SO much for reassuring me, you're a star!!! Hopefully the tooth won't get any smaller now the wires are straight and my dentist can fix it at my next appointment.

The only other thing that's bothering me is if the front gap has closed that quickly, surely it'll open again just as fast. Oh well, that's what retainers are for I guess. And I've got six months before I have to start worrying about retainers, lol.

Thanks again Meryaten, I'd be ringing my dentist in a state of panic if it wasn't for you! :lol:

Jayne

#6 Post by Jayne »

Just thought I'd pop in and let you know that I went for my first adjustment today. Firstly, the gap between my two front teeth is now completely gone but I mainly wanted to thank you again Meryaten for your supporting words. As soon as I showed my dentist the problem of the shrinking tooth he fixed it immediately. :D

As it happens, I'd got it all mixed up and the tooth hadn't shrunk, it was the other one that had been pulled DOWN slightly. My dentist suggested pulling the other one down as my teeth are quite square (horses teeth I call them) and he said elongating them a couple of mm's would look nicer. I agreed and voila!!

It's still ever so slightly shorter but I expect them to be of equal length by the end of the day. I can't wait for my crown lengthening now!!

skyclad

Well

#7 Post by skyclad »

I have seen so many people who obviously had expensive and extensive orthodontia and all of their teeth are exactly level...or so it appears.

Wanna hear something crazy? well I am gonna tell you anyways... :D
my former friend and roommate had braces as a teen and had them taken off early so that she wouldn't have that "yup I had braces" perfect smile. (its straight and she had a great bite but not totally perfect) Her brother was a little smarter. His teeth are perfect. And neither of them had to pay because their parents are loaded.

Maybe it's just me but since I am going through all the hassle and inconvenience of braces..gosh darnit my teeth are going to be as perfect as me and the ortho can get them even if it means going longer than my prescribed 18.5 months.
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath

jumbie

#8 Post by jumbie »

Right now I have a space next to an incisor and after 1 week in braces Its not closing up fast enough for me lolol! I am willing it together at the moment!
Banded 7th March 2007
Braced 12th April 2007-Ceramic uppers
Braced 7th May 2007-Metal lowers
http://bracefacejumbie.blogspot.com

skyclad

a little off subject

#9 Post by skyclad »

The diagram showing the curve of wilson slightly resembles a turkey or chicken...my brother agrees with me.

skyclad

by the way

#10 Post by skyclad »

That is a nifty site and that picture was yuck.

Jayne

#11 Post by Jayne »

I'm learning so much about teeth on here!!

I never knew the "perfect" relative position of upper teeth. Looking at that pic, mine have never been right! But they seem to be getting there now, thanks to my dentist, Dr Lau. :D

skyclad

Educational

#12 Post by skyclad »

I did not realize I would learn so much...