Help! Braces to come off Tuesday, not happy w/ result

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jason

Help! Braces to come off Tuesday, not happy w/ result

#1 Post by Jason »

Is there not an "Ask The Doc" forum you can post to anymore?

My problem is this.. I've worn braces the last 20 months, and at my last appointment my orthodontist said he would take them off in 1-2 weeks (this Tuesday). This was to my surprise, because my teeth look far from perfect. In particular, my right lateral incissor (I think that's what it's called) still sits back as it always has -- it doesn't line up with my other teeth! the 2nd main reason I got braces! So naturally I told my ortho this, and at first he asked what tooth I was referring to. This was bothersome to me because I think it is very obvious. Then he said that it IS "straight" and went on to say something like because I have a tongue thrust, it isn't a good idea to close things up tightly because if he did, my original open bite might open back up.

I have a lot of problems with this :( First, I don't really understand what a tongue thrust would have to do with an incissor not being lined up properly (as in pic). Second, I knew I had a tongue thrust when I started because I had had a consult with another ortho before that. So I had worked on fixing the habit, and I'm not even convinced I still have a tongue thrust.

Worse than that though, my orthodontist had previously NEVER mentioned any such limitations of the treatment, and he NEVER mentioned anything about a tongue thrust appliance or anything like that. Even if I do have a tongue thrust, why wouldn't he have even tried to correct it or even discuss it with me? For this reason I don't trust the guy at all at this point, so I could really use some advice!! Should I not let him take the braces off on Tuesday? He said something about maybe trying to make adjustments in retainers, but he said that only after I questioned him for 5 minutes, so it doesn't seem like that is really a good way to finish aligning my teeth. Doesn't all this sound very sketchy? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

~ Jason

Jason

#2 Post by Jason »

Thanks for the moral support, ladies. I just want my teeth to look the best that they can. Since I don't understand the relationship between a possible tongue thrust and the remaining problems with my teeth, I'm not yet convinced that this is it. In fact right now I really feel like I'm being ripped off -- it just doesn't make sense that the doc would never have mentioned a tongue thrust appliance or anything. I can see from this site and the web that tongue thrusts are a pretty common problem. So right now my plan is to keep my debonding appointment, and then go confront him with all of this.. I can't imagine what logical explanation he could have, so it should be pretty interesting.

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

I would try to PM Dr. Rick

profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5393

He's asked that if something was important, please PM him. He's been very helpful to a lot of AW members that way.

As for corrections done with retainers, my ortho has been doing that with me. He debonded me and then started to push a tooth here and there with my retainers. It works just fine for fine adjustments.

I hope you get the answers you're looking for!!!

Best wishes!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm