Final Stages - Confusion

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

FlyingScotsman

Final Stages - Confusion

#1 Post by FlyingScotsman »

Hello!

Long time reader, first time poster here... I've been a visitor to this site almost since i started wearing braces almost two years ago now, and found this site sooo useful! Ok, brown nosing over lol

I'm in the latter stages of treatment, with the results quite spectacular if i do say so myself, with just one gap approx 3mm to close between a pre-molar and a molar on my top jaw. I'm wearing elastics from the top to bottom jaw, and a spring for extra "oomph" to help close it. I'm due to see my ortho in around 3 weeks, whereupon he will have expected that gap to have closed (i doubt it will have made it tbh).

Nevertheless, under this expectation, he had said that arrangements would be made to have my braces removed at the next appointment, which i was fairly stoked to hear. BUT, it occurred to me last night that isn't there normally a waiting period while your teeth are allowed to "remember" their new positions? My ortho seemed to suggest the braces were to come off very soon, or as soon as that gap closed anyway, but surely my teeth would need additional time to settle into their new final positions? A rather long winded question, I know, but i wanted to check what other people's experiences had been. While I can't wait to have the braces removed, I don't want them taken off too soon and run the risk of my teeth sliding about again!

Cheers! :D

FS

maple

#2 Post by maple »

Hello FlyingScotsman,
Good question.

My assumption is that the "retention" stage is the stage with retainers. So I guess the teeth are expected to get in their position with braces and the retainers will assure that they stay there.

But I am not sure.

Anyone???

acehigh

#3 Post by acehigh »

But I was enjoying your brown nosing.....lol. Anyways, from what I've read and heard, after the braces come off you wear a retainer which holds the teeth in their new positions. I know after my treatment is done (18-24 months), I'll probably have to wear the retainer for about a year. I'm 4 months into it. :lol:

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

I used to think that the braces had to stay on and hold things for a while after they are all straight, but that's not the case!

I got a few teeth moved slightly and then 2 weeks later got the braces taken off.

The retainers, worn 24/7, hold things perfectly while the new bone sets up.

I remember reading on here a few years ago from one of the former visiting docs that the teeth can't settle perfectly while still in braces...can't remember the why on this one...I hope I'm remembering this right.

Don't worry! The ortho knows what he's/she's doing...

Hope you post pictures here when you're all done!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

FlyingScotsman

#5 Post by FlyingScotsman »

Wow, thanks for the replies! I have to admit, the thought of what my teeth might do in the period between fixed brace and retainer had crossed my mind a few times, but it's reassuring to see that the settling will continue with the retainer. Och, not long to go now anyway, and you're right jennielee, I guess the ortho knows what he's doing! Thank you!