This Pain

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceKate

This Pain

#1 Post by BraceKate »

I have debated even sending this, lest this sound like some kind of fetish, but I'm wondering if there's anyone who, like me, [i]likes[/i] the pain?

Yes, after a new archwire, eating is tough, but I guess what I like is knowing that with the pain comes progress. So I know this might sound wrong, but for me, the more pain the better.

That said, I can't wait to get these buggers off, and I still have a year to go.

mmym29

#2 Post by mmym29 »

I don't like the pain after an adjustment because it makes eating so painful and a hassle, however I don't mind the slight pressure I sometimes feel from the braces/ appliances because then I know they are working :)

acehigh

#3 Post by acehigh »

HA! Yes, I understand what you mean. I don't run around telling everyone, but now that you mentioned it, I sure don't mind the pain at all. Actually, I can say it hasn't been that bad (Wish I'd feel MORE pain....lol). So when I finally do feel a little something.....I'm so happy. I like it, it just means that something is happening. Your message made me laugh. :D

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I don't mind the discomfort/pain or whatever anyone wants to call it either. I see it as a "productive" sort of pain which means that the wires are doing what they should be doing, and exerting the forces required to give me the smile I've always wanted and have waited 30 years for. I liken it to the muscle pain you get after a good workout or some heavy gardening. It hurts but it also feels good because you know you've done your body some good.

I see the pain as part of the "price" if you like. It makes eating a bit difficult straight after an adjustment, but I just modify my diet accordingly for a few days. If I feel I need a pain med then I take one - no point in being a martyr and suffering needlessly! :D

Everyone's perception of pain and ability to deal with it is different.

jennielee81

#5 Post by jennielee81 »

It's cool that you're ok with that Kate! :thumbsup: Maybe you have a low pain threshold, which would explain why you feel pain instead of discomfort to achieve movement.

I've never had pain, and I've had loads of movement ... so I'm pleased I don't have your experience. My ortho believes that with modern orthodontics there's no need for pain and only minor discomfort. I've had discomfort a few times when some major movement is going on ... but it quickly disappears with some additional salt water rinses to soothe my mouth and the desired movement achieved. :jump:

A poster in my ortho's office ... and true for me ... Gain without Pain!
I have a very high pain threshhold and I have felt pain with my treatment!!

Feeling pain occasionally is not because someone has a low threshold! Pain is different for everyone! I had a broken collar bone for a FULL YEAR and felt less pain than I felt with some of my adjustments!

Please, don't assume that because one person feels no pain that someone else is at fault for feeling it. That's could be interpreted as mean.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

phanta

#6 Post by phanta »

Some of my teeth hurt 'pleasantly' in a weird way, sometimes I'll just keep pressing on the painful places. You're not alone in this BraceKate :)

I hope I didn't just admit to being sick!!

My Braces Story at www.bracedblog.com

phanta

#7 Post by phanta »

That's a great comparison, Maryaten! Exactly: when muscles are aching, massage/pressure feels nice. Whew, all is normal in my attic.

phanta

#8 Post by phanta »

:lol:
Yes, I'll settle for that.

1of7

Re: This Pain

#9 Post by 1of7 »

PAAAAAAIIIINNNNNN.

ok, i wouldn't exactly call it pain but maybe extreme discomfort. its 24/7 and sometimes my brain throws images around of midevil SPAMMERS and gadgets.

i've been put on a diet that i did not agree to engage. my stomach is always screaming at me.