What do they mean by Class ll and Class lll elastics?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

acehigh

What do they mean by Class ll and Class lll elastics?

#1 Post by acehigh »

I recently have been wearing elastics to correct an overbite. On the little package it shows 4mm. Of course I would figure elastics come in different sizes depending on what the use will be for. I have no idea what mine are, other than they connect from the top third teeth (pointy teeth) to the bottom 2nd molars on each side. I often read about these different classes of elastics. I'm just not sure what is meant by that. Anyone know? I'm curious. :P

acehigh

#2 Post by acehigh »

Thanks for the reply Kiwi, I found it interesting. I'm new at this and still learning. 8)

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

Class II elastics are used to correct an overjet, Class III to correct an "underbite". The Class # is actually in relation to the bite rather than the elastics.

Orthos may/will use different sizes (the mm and weight marked on your bag) to achieve this correction.

There are lots of other configurations that may be used, triangles, boxes, V's inverse V's zig zags etc.

Glad to have you with us!!

JUmp in!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

maple

#4 Post by maple »

I am wearing class II elastics. There is a picture of a Panda on the package. The ortho, affectionately, calls them Pandas.

According to the ortho assistant, they have a whole ZOO of elastics.

Anyone else wearing "animals"?

flipib05

#5 Post by flipib05 »

I WAS wearing turtle elsastics but not anymore.

jess214

#6 Post by jess214 »

I have a ram on my elastic's package!

This is what the package also says:

ORMCO Z-pak elastics
3F (1/4") 6 Oz.

Nooo idea what the second part meant.
braced w/ ceramic brackets & wire ligs - 28th Nov, 06
debanded! + Essix retainers - 5th Nov, 08

CanehdianGal

#7 Post by CanehdianGal »

Oh I have been wanting to ask this question as well..My elastics r on the top 2 center attached to the bottom 2 center. H4 elastics 4mm 3/16" Heavy 4 oz.

2 weeks I have been wearing them and still alot of pressure discomfort. Especially when I take 1 or both off to eat, then have to out them back on.

Will pressure/discomfort ease in time?

Will this always happen when I get new elastics put on? June my ortho is adding 2 more in the back.

platinum

#8 Post by platinum »

I remember having in 80's some elastics to correct my crossbite. They were in a white plastic back, and if I rememnber right they had a picture of animal on it. I have seen samekind of looking bags in my ortho's office. Just wondering if the bags are still same...

cece

#9 Post by cece »

jess214 wrote:I have a ram on my elastic's package!

This is what the package also says:

ORMCO Z-pak elastics
3F (1/4") 6 Oz.

Nooo idea what the second part meant.
'

I have the same ones :D

I wear one on each side in triangular form but one side with the point up, the other side with the point down. My configuration is to help move my bottom midline and it is working :P

Mel-UK

#10 Post by Mel-UK »

I just got mine yesterday - not a good night - kept half waking up wanting to open my mouth and it felt impossible... not too bad right now.

I have a triangle pointing down on both sides. Mainly I think because on one side the hook on the bottom back molar is too close to my gum - very painful when the Ortho tried to put the elastic on there. They are to sort out my bite which is pretty non-existent right now.

It feels like my lower jaw is being encouraged to come forward - which makes sense.

I have Rams (3F 1/4") which the Ortho said were medium strong - he showed me the other packets with the different animals on... I thought it was quite funny cos they are obviously aimed at kids.

Mel
Damon3 upper & lowers
plus bite turbos on upper front teeth and one elastic closing a gap on front lower teeth and one closing a gap on upper front teeth. Elastics on hooks both sides.

LynnHowell

#11 Post by LynnHowell »

maple wrote:I am wearing class II elastics. There is a picture of a Panda on the package. The ortho, affectionately, calls them Pandas.

According to the ortho assistant, they have a whole ZOO of elastics.

Anyone else wearing "animals"?
I was wearing Rams and Impalas (in a triangle pattern to pull my lower jaw forward).
Upper Ceramic: 8/13/04
Lower Metal: 01/13/05
Removed: 4/19/07 (finally!)

Retainers:
Upper Clear Hawley
Lower fixed & Essix
Lower fixed removed 7/06/07 (due to a small space). Lower Fuschia Hawley 7/18/07
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.lynnhowell.com

LadyTr0uble

#12 Post by LadyTr0uble »

Now I am thoroughly confused! (finally brave enough to ask sily questions)

I've got all this information on the packages (I call them pink and yellow)

Pink for my right (top first bicuspid to bottom first molar) that says:
Distance: 13/16" (20 mm), then 1-3/16" (30mm) under that; Force: 1.5 oz, then 2.9 oz. underneath; AND on the bottom it says: 3/8" (9.5 mm)
* 13/16" (20 mm) is next to 1.5oz.

Yellow for my left (top canine to bottom first molar) that says:
Distance: 13/16" (20 mm), then 1-3/16" (30mm) under that; Force: 1.6 oz, then 2.6 oz. underneath; AND on the bottom it says: 5/16" (7.9 mm)
* 13/16" (20 mm) is next to 1.6 oz.

What in the world does all of that mean??
No animals here :cry:

maple

#13 Post by maple »

An environmentalist in me is dying to ask: Has anyone found a good use for these elastics besides their intended orthodontic purpose?

I change my elastics 2-3 times per day. When I put the fresh elastics, I wonder if the previously used elastics can be recycled or reused for anything else.