Query about thpeech

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ready2go43

Query about thpeech

#1 Post by Ready2go43 »

I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems with their speech getting slightly worse instead of better :? I know I am new to braces,only 4 days but I am lithping quite a bit at the moment,it does not bother me,but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this?
God do my teeth ache today,and when I was flossing last night I noticed that a bracket on one of my lower teeth has come off :-(* dont know how,it is not from biting on anything,oh well!I am fed up with these damn bite raiser things though,I am getting used to the braces though,a couple of sore spots but the wax is doing its job.
One final thing,I am interested to know about cleaning routines,I am trying to get into one and was wondering what works best for you,I know everyone is different,but suggestions would be very welcome :thumbsup:
Braced 19/04/07
Damon 3s
Upper & Lower

Nervous

#2 Post by Nervous »

I had speech problems only when I was in my retainer/ expander for a year prior to getting braces and this was when I was taking Latin! I spoke normally again once I got braces. I've never had speech problems since. Also the pain will go away after about a week. :( I hope you start to feel better

lionfish

Re: Query about thpeech

#3 Post by lionfish »

I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems with their speech getting slightly worse instead of better :? I know I am new to braces,only 4 days but I am lithping quite a bit at the moment,it does not bother me,but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this?
God do my teeth ache today,and when I was flossing last night I noticed that a bracket on one of my lower teeth has come off :-(* dont know how,it is not from biting on anything,oh well!I am fed up with these damn bite raiser things though,I am getting used to the braces though,a couple of sore spots but the wax is doing its job.
One final thing,I am interested to know about cleaning routines,I am trying to get into one and was wondering what works best for you,I know everyone is different,but suggestions would be very welcome :thumbsup:
If you want to improve your speech, keep talking, read aloud, sing in the shower. Hunt around for the Rainbow Passage on this board and read it out aloud.

Brackets can come off for a variety of reasons, including the glue not setting properly.

As far as cleaning routines are concerned, I use the interdens sticks to remove food from between teeth and brush after meals (3X daily), and floss once at night before I go to bed.

acehigh

Speech problem went away

#4 Post by acehigh »

I've been in braces for 4 1/2 months now. For about the first week or so my "f's" were whistling. I wasn't too happy about it. When I was at work I would try to say my f's very quietly....lol. It did pass! Good thing, because it was starting to upset me. Hang on, it will go away! :lol:

Clairey Fairey

#5 Post by Clairey Fairey »

I find that 'Six' - Is now a really difficult word to say properly!!

Ready2go43

#6 Post by Ready2go43 »

orthodontist is not easy to say either lol.

Sweet Escape

#7 Post by Sweet Escape »

I've had my expander in since December and I saw some people who hadn't seen me since I got it put in and they said I sounded different. I'm guessing it will go back to normal after it gets taken out.

mbarbi

#8 Post by mbarbi »

i'm a voice talent and the first two weeks i really had a hard time with my speech...as i got used to my braces my speech improved...but now after my 1st adjustment...i'm having a bit of difficulty again. :(

Pepper

#9 Post by Pepper »

I lisp more than I used to. It doesn't really bother me. Sometimes it's a pain, but I don't really care. Maybe I don't care because I'm kind of used to having slight speech problems - I've always had some mild stuttering.

Don't worry about it.

Ready2go43

#10 Post by Ready2go43 »

My speech is slowly getting a bit better,got bracket re-attached yesterday,my lower teeth are very tender at the moment anyway but god with that bit extra tension I am struggling to brush even with a manual toothbrush,but I just keep telling myself it will be worth the discomfort in the long run,hope everyone else is ok :-#)
Braced 19/04/07
Damon 3s
Upper & Lower

Tin Indian

#11 Post by Tin Indian »

:oops: I have a slight lisp saying my S's since my last adjustment. But I think that's due to having a cleat on the inside of a new band that's in the way of my tongue. If I speak slowly and pronouciate words and keep myself hydrated that helps a lot too. And remember to use lots of lip balm to keep things sliding along.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

LaaLaa

#12 Post by LaaLaa »

I got braces very recently and until today, I didn't notice any dramatic changes in my speech. I was on the phone and saying some my phone number which consists of a few fours...well, you guessed it, I was lisping like crazy. :lol: Hopefully, I'll get used to it and won't have too much of a problem with that from now on. But who knows, I've just gotten braces less than two weeks ago and still don't have my bottoms put on!