giving up...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kana

giving up...

#1 Post by kana »

I got my braces on nearly 1 and a half years ago. The first dentist I went to for a basic dental checkup was actually someone who do crowns and veneers and implants etc. He referred me to an ortho, who told me flat off that he won't do braces for me if I don't take on jaw surgery as well.
Basically, to solve my teeth problems, I had to do both braces+jaw surgery, or so he said: no jaw surgery, no braces. So I asked him if it is possible to start with braces first and if necessary include the jaw surgery halfway through. He replied no and that these 2 has to be planned together.

I was very very upset(I don't have that much money, and my family STRONGLY objected) so I actually turn back to the first dentist and consulted on whether I can opted for the crowning/veneers etc choice. After a lot of examination, he told me that he can't do it without reforming almost all of my teeth, and even so he advised that braces is still my best option.

As I didn't want to take on jaw surgery just based on the view of one ortho, I consulted another ortho somewhere else.
He was the ortho who did braces for my 3 sisters with marvelous results(two had them around 7 years ago and the remaining one had them around 2 years ago) and they strongly recommend him to me.

So I went and after examining, he told me it can be done without surgery, just that the results won't be completely perfect. I was not looking for total perfection right from the start, and since he assured me that it CAN BE DONE(I asked him a few times to reaffirm) and he looked totally confident it won't be much short of that. Stupidly, I agreed to get braced. And it's the one of the worst decisions I have ever made and regretted so much.
Or rather, I regret my decision to trust this ortho. He never explained to me much despite my questions. He forget whatever I told him and was never caring to me as his patient.

My ortho fees are separated into a basic fee and after that 20 times of adjustment fees(basically, it's the same as the common - pay by each monthly visit), and so by now, I only have 1 last monthly payment left. The thing is, this ortho was in a total rush to persuade me to take off my braces. Now, taking off these metal is good news isn't it?

But the thing is: some of my teeth is still not straight at all(there's even a gap in my upper gums and a small hole just below). So for the previous few visits, he kept telling me it's about time and ask me how I think. So I just frankly point out all the stuff(which is adjustable), and he actually got somewhat pissed and started telling me "yours is a surgical case but you refused..." blah blah blah and then "think about whether you want a jaw surgery".

I left the clinic feeling so cheated. Never once have I refused surgery, he was the one who told me it can be done and I don't need a jaw surgery(even before I mentioned to him about the other ortho's comments) right at the first consultation. And now, he pushes all the blame to me. I'm beginning to think that he's so unprofessional that since my ortho fees are almost paid off completely, he wants to end my treatment because more time but no more money.

I think he's just so irresponsible for his own comments and advices. There are many times throughout the last 1 and half years of treatment whereby I raised my concerns and he just brushed them off by saying things like "okay, fine I will [do whatever adjustments pertaining to what I mentioned]" and "don't worry about that".
But in the end, he did none of those. Right now, my teeth looks bad. maybe not as bad as before getting braced, but still bad and nowhere near acceptable. And right now, I'm really helpless as to whether I should just take these things off and be gone and never see his face again.

Yes, I understand that I am partly to be blamed for being so stupid and brainless to believe that it can be done without surgery, but still I am very upset that this ortho doesn't keep to his words at all and take everything so lightly just because it's not his teeth that he has messed up with but he still get the money. It just feels so terrible and I just have to accept the fact that I will never have the beautiful teeth I long for and I should just give up and not think anymore.

I posted this hoping for people who are thinking of getting braced to be specific and careful in choosing your ortho seriously(understand fully the points necessary for treatment and ask about the procedures) and also for those who are currently being braced to keep asking questions and raising concerns to your ortho if there are any doubts and to know what he/she is really doing for each adjustment and to learn from him/her of your teeth progress, because not everyone who have braces will have good stories to tell, so make sure that yours will be one of success.

I wish everyone straight teeth and beautiful smiles always.

iBorg

#2 Post by iBorg »

I'm sorry your result is not what you wanted. I understand the disappointment as I'm braced a second time to undo the mistakes of my first ortho.

I would suggest you make an appointment to meet with your regular dentist and ask his opinion. You may also want to consult with other orthodontists to see what their professional opinion is. You may be seeing things that really only you would notice that are somewhat insignificant. Please don't think I'm minimizing your disappointment. What you may see as a major flaw may not be. For example I'm not happy with the space at the roots of my bottom front teeth. The only way to correct that would be to slenderize the top of those teeth. Really that space isn't significant.

After consulting others, you may want to transfer to someone else to finish the work or you may want to talk with your current ortho in an arranged meeting and explain what you see as the flaws and how you believe they could be corrected. This may require additional payments. If you do any additional work that requires an additional contract period, I would want the contract constructed in such a way that payment is received once the work is satisfactory concluded.

You're in a difficult position, but, you appear to have done the correct advance work to have avoided it. It would have been good if both you and your ortho would have had a clear understanding of expected outcomes.

I hope you are able to get the results you had doped for.
Good luck,

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Clo

#3 Post by Clo »

Oh dear,

my experiences are also not good at all. After almost 3 years of treatment,
my teeth now don't look well at all and more importantly, they do not function
anymore. So, I really understand your frustration. No, you are not stupid and
brainless. I just think it is all because of bad communication in the beginning.
He should have told to you what consequences there were if you did not have jaw
surgery. When he would have been clear about that, then you could have made a
decision to accept these. Arg, everyday I wonder why people make life so difficult.
Only a serious talk in the beginning and things could have gone way better. Why
some orthos succeed in making a treatment a nightmare instead of a joy puzzles me
all the time. Now what can you do ? I would see another ortho while the braces are
still on. Maybe they will be able to make things better, and maybe at no extra high
cost. I did this also. Not easy to do, but sometimes necessary. I know ... eh ... all
about this. Went from ortho 1 to ortho 2, now seeing ortho 3 and an oral surgeon, and
at the start of a new and lengthy treatment. There is one good thing about your bad
experiences, it brought you here, to the best ortho forum there is, full of amazing and
lovely people. People who really understand about your issues.

Best of luck !

3Scorpios

#4 Post by 3Scorpios »

No advice, just ((HUGS))