Molar bands and bonded molar brackets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MissSMILEY

Molar bands and bonded molar brackets

#1 Post by MissSMILEY »

Is there a difference between molar bands and bonded molar brackets/tubes? Everyone was telling me that I was going to hate the spacers and bands, but come brace day, I didn't get spacers nor bands. Is it because a difference in treatment theories or do they do the same job? Once I showed everyone these tiny bonded pieces on two crowns and my teeth, they were asking me where the bands were. Does anyone know where my bands went? :?:

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I don't know why some orthos go one way or the other. I don't have molar bands either, and there are others here in the same position.

MissSMILEY

#3 Post by MissSMILEY »

I'm just worried that my gaps won't close up because the brackets will break or something lame. I popped off a bracket while I was brushing it. My post-tx BF said it was because I was brushing too hard and too long. But I just wanted to make sure I was keping it clean because it's partially hidden behind another tooth. I don't think it would be very ideal to have such a large gap in my mouth. Anyhow, I was just wondering if rubber bands or such would exert too much force that the bonding could not stand without a band.

LynnHowell

#4 Post by LynnHowell »

Consider yourself lucky your ortho didn't bond molar bands to your teeth. For me, that was the most uncomfortable part of the actual braces.

Number one, it's like nails on a chalkboard when they force them over your sore teeth (sore because the spacers had just been removed). The ortho does this first to make sure he/she has the correct size. They are then forced back off, a lot of cement is applied, and they are forced back on and crimped.

I had sharp edges on mine (that I know now could have been filed down), but still they were uncomfortable. And I won't even go into how disturbing it looks when they dig down into your gums and you wonder how in the world they'll ever come off. (And they do quite easily). :)

I remember reading once that the type of molar brackets you have can't be applied to teeth that have fillings where the bracket will be placed because it could pull them out. Also, there is much less chance of anything seeping down in between the band and the tooth allowing for decay.
Upper Ceramic: 8/13/04
Lower Metal: 01/13/05
Removed: 4/19/07 (finally!)

Retainers:
Upper Clear Hawley
Lower fixed & Essix
Lower fixed removed 7/06/07 (due to a small space). Lower Fuschia Hawley 7/18/07
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.lynnhowell.com

alanme123

#5 Post by alanme123 »

wow you are lucky... spacers hurts soooo much. and when they bonded my molars, ouch...

MissSMILEY

#6 Post by MissSMILEY »

But they did bond them to my PFM crowns on my bottom 2nd molars using porcelain etch. I have another crown on #10 and they just used porcelaiin etch and told me if it didn't pop off over the weekend, I was good. So far, 3 weeks and none of the porcelains have given me any trouble. It was a natural tooth that a bracket popped off while I was brushing.

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

I'm just worried that my gaps won't close up because the brackets will break or something lame. I popped off a bracket while I was brushing it. My post-tx BF said it was because I was brushing too hard and too long. But I just wanted to make sure I was keping it clean because it's partially hidden behind another tooth. I don't think it would be very ideal to have such a large gap in my mouth. Anyhow, I was just wondering if rubber bands or such would exert too much force that the bonding could not stand without a band.
I popped a couple of buccal tubes early on in the piece, but have been trouble free for over a year now (fingers crossed). I've had powerchains across these brackets and they've stood up just fine. I wouldn't get too hung up over it.

MissSMILEY

#8 Post by MissSMILEY »

I use one of them ButlerGUM toothbrushes for sensitive mouths or my Sonicare Elite. I do notice that I tend to press harder with my manual toothbrushes rather than the Sonicare. I don't know, I guess it's just become a force of habit from using a Sonicare for 8 years, the manual just doesn't seem as clean. I took care of the loose bracket about 10 minutes after I brushed my teeth that same morning. And does anyone else have a problem with the two molar tubes pinching your gums when the mouth is closed??

MissSMILEY

#9 Post by MissSMILEY »

Hahaha thanks, Meryaten. It seems to have subsided a wee bit for now. Water and wax have been my best friends so far.