Jaw Problem Anyone!?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WiredPinay

Jaw Problem Anyone!?!

#1 Post by WiredPinay »

Hello... i had my Damon braces on the lower teeth "installed" last April 12....

For a few days now.. i feel like my jaw is getting sore/achy ... like it's been on a "lock-down" for a long time... i wasn't clenching or anything ... i try to open my mouth and move around to relax my jaw ... but afterward i can feel the "tensing"sensation creeping in. This would go on for an hour or two.

it's a weird thing... makes me feel like my lower jaw is going sideways ... and my tongue would get tired too.. as if i've been pushing it to the roof of my mouth for hours..... maybe all of these is because of the pressure of the teeth moving??

Does anybody ever had this misery? :ouch:

---I just got a tooth pulled out on the upper teeth (April 24)... then the wires on my upper teeth will be hooked on May 8... ---

ngbraces

#2 Post by ngbraces »

It sounds like you may getting a TMJ (Temporomandibular joint syndrome)! And so am I! I have similar symptoms you have mentioned. When I open my mouth, I can see that my lower jaw is sideway, not in the midline with my upper jaw. How about your chewing? Is it difficult and/or painful when you bite down? My jaw hurts when I'm eating! I googled TMJ and think that I've got one. Yikes! I think I got it after the last appointment when I had to bite down so hard on one side to get a band in my second molar. My first molar got banded already. The day after, I started feeling the pain when chewing, I thought the pain was due to the tension of the new band, but few days later I saw that my lower jaw went sideways when I opened my mouth. I didn't call my ortho yet because I'm out of town now. I just try some Motrin and soft food, relaxing my mouth for now. I sure will call my ortho when I return.

I suggest you call your ortho or dentist about this. You can google TMJ to get more info. I hope it's not your case. Hope you get well soon.
Full Metal Mouth