Getting braced tomorrow - NERVOUS!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

crysredd

Getting braced tomorrow - NERVOUS!

#1 Post by crysredd »

I am getting braces tomorrow and I am so nervous. I usually don't mind any dental work - in fact people think I am crazy for looking forward to a dental visit. The thing is is that I am 31, live in Los Angeles (so right there I will probably stick out) and this will be my 2nd time with braces. I couldn't wait to get them as a kid but now... I just worry about it being taboo for adults. How do you guys feel?

Tin Indian

#2 Post by Tin Indian »

:D Welcome aboard crysredd, I'm a 54yo guy that got braced in a small town USA myself last year. I thought I was the only person over 30 with braces at first but let me tell ya- there are a ton of adults of all ages in braces and just writing to everyone here on Archwired you have no doubt found that out. Its like buying a new car- you think everyone's looking at you at first but the feeling goes away quickly enough. Just have a positive outlook that you are doing this for yourself, regardless of what other people think or see.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

crysredd

#3 Post by crysredd »

haha - yes I guess it will have that same new car feeling. Well, that makes me feel better - thank you. I'm sure I will post something tomorrow after getting braced!

crysredd

#4 Post by crysredd »

Thanks again! :D <---my last naked smile for a while

Granola

#5 Post by Granola »

Good luck tomorrow--it'll go fine!

I remember being nervous too (and it was the second time around for me too). I was surprised at how well it went (much, much easier than any of the dental work (e.g. extractions, root canals, etc.) that I've had done).

I think very few people really pay attention to the fact that I have braces--it has never been a problem for me whatsoever. If you don't have a problem with it, no one else will. You'll be so glad you did it.

Remember, when you are really sore the first few weeks and feel like everything is a challenge to eat--it will get better soon. After the first few months I could eat anything (I was even eating corn on the cob about five months into my braces journey).

Please report back about how you did. :rose:
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

acehigh

#6 Post by acehigh »

It all works out just fine!! I was so uptight 4 1/2 months ago when I had mine put on, it was unbelievable. Now the braces are just fine, I'm fine, and I'm so glad that I did it. I read you had braces as a kid, and these days technology has advanced so much you will be amazed. My teeth are moving fast, and the results are amazing. The new self-ligating braces are real nice. To be honest, I was very upset for the first day. (44 year old female here). The time is flying, and I find this site to be very inspirational. We're all in the same boat! :D :D

loulou123

#7 Post by loulou123 »

Hi cyrsredd

Good luck for today im sure itll all be just fine.

Im 27 in the UK where it seems to be a bit more unusual to see adults in braces than in the US and i can honestly say no one has ever said anything negative about my braces, so please dont worry about this at all.
The only thing i do find is that i getasked for ID more often now as people seem to assicioate braces with teenagers, but hey if people want to beleive im 10 years younger i see that as a positive thing!

Take care

Louise

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

sashamax

#8 Post by sashamax »

Good Luck for tomorrow. The nervousness was with me the whole way and I had no problems getting braced and only suffered discomfort for the 1st few days.

I know everyone says it, however it really does get better are time goes on. I was braced 8 weeks ago tomorrow.

My only suggestions is that if you have a camera, take photo's, the progress shots of your teeth as they move towards their correct positions keeps you motivated.

MissSMILEY

#9 Post by MissSMILEY »

I'm post-mid 20's and braced in Los Angeles as well. Not many people seem to comment or notice besides friends, family, and co-workers. Never anything negative but they've all been through it before and sympathize with my pain. My mom and brother didn't even realize I was braced until a couple days later when one sitting directly across from me and the other right next to me during dinner. But then I did get ones as clear as the ICE brackets and I have always had pretty large and unusually bright teeth so they blend in well. One friend even commented on the fact that I got retainers when he was standing plum in front of my face, having been chatting things up for a while. :-* Then again, that is why I chose to get the "clear" braces. Good luck and I think you might want to stock up on wax, lip balm, and salt.

WiredforSound

#10 Post by WiredforSound »

Good luck tomorrow. It will go well!

I have had my braces on for a month now and they feel like they are part of me already.

Working with the public, I was worried that people would say something negative. So far, have only had positive comments. I think most people are so absorbed in their own lives and what is going on that they don't see half of what is out there and don't notice the braces. So, Don't worry! It will go well!!
[/url]

crysredd

#11 Post by crysredd »

Thanks to all of you with your kind words... I am sitting here at work waiting for my 1pm appointment - And I'm feeling like "let's get this over with already!"... I will post an update afterwards.

Thanks again!!! :D

SDFD TSchott

#12 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Goodluck for todays appointment its only 3 1/2 hours away!

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

MissSMILEY

#13 Post by MissSMILEY »

How'd it go?? Did you have anything good to eat for dinner? Hehehe, welcome to this journey!

kypsis

#14 Post by kypsis »

How does it feel now? Hope it went well and that you're more or less used to having the braces on your teeth! I am getting braced on Friday, and definitely have this "let's do it already" feeling, since the spacers are pushing my already crowded lower teeth even tighter together. At least with braces on, you'll know they're moving in the right direction.