Off Limit Food

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheShmo

Off Limit Food

#1 Post by TheShmo »

Okay, I feel silly for even bringing it up, but I am addicted to chips (particularly Doritos.... yummm), and was wondering if I am the only one that eats "no-no" foods?

I keep rationalizing it in my head ("Those rules are for the kids they treat", "I chew realllly careful [which I do btw... Used to, I would polish off a bad of chips like that *snaps*, but now I can only eat a few b/c I chew so careful/slowly - probably better for my waistline too :wink: ]", "The list said 'no corn chips', and these are tortilla chips... big difference", etc), but I still feel bad. Plus I remember popping off more than one bracket eating chips the first time I had braces (when I was a teeneager), so I am a little scared.

But my willpower sucks, and the cravings win over everytime! I am just hoping I am not the only one, or I will feel horribly embarrassed :oops:

Hey, anyone with suggestions on how to stop the chips, or snacks that might be just as good that AREN'T off-limits would be greatly appreciated :D

Oh, another thing... I am a big soda drinker (I switched to Diet last month, which was a biiiiiig step for me, but still, it's carbonated and not good for my teeth), and was wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks to making water taste better... I've tried the lemon slices, and stuff like that, but I just can't seem to stomach it... I have heard that if you do something routinely for 21 days, then it becomes habit and just takes over. Maybe I just need to force myself to drink straight water for 3 weeks, and it will become second nature... who knows?

Anyhoo, thanks for listening, and hope to hear some tips :)

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Life's too short to sweat this.

I'm off for a G&T & macadamias.

jenfire

#3 Post by jenfire »

I have had braces for nearly 11 months now and I generally eat and drink what I like. I think you just need to try to be careful when eating. I like chips as well--I've not had any problems eating them...no brackets have fallen off.

I also still drink Diet Coke. I have begun cleaning my teeth a lot more thoroughly since getting braced. I floss 1-2 times a day, use a waterpik every other day, and also use ACT mouthwash. I had a dental exam last week and received accolades from the dentist/staff about my oral hygiene. They said many ortho patients do not take good care of their teeth (that may be more common amongst the kids with braces though).

So, I say eat those chips if you want and drink what you like. Be careful when doing so though. Also, try to take good care of your teeth by brushing and flossing. Everything will be ok :D
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

ABraces2007

#4 Post by ABraces2007 »

I agree with most of you, guys.
I think if you are careful with all those "no-no" foods, nothing can happen. I think, mostly orthos make this no-no list because most of their patients are kids and teens and they are not so conscience as adult people. So, just keep on eating whatever you want, if braces are the only reason why you should stop doing it. Just do it carefully and remember to have an excellent oral higene.
The same problem i had with soda, i`m very skinny and i don`t eat sweets, except that i`m accostumed to drink soda (and i can`t stand diet soda), so, i was told to maybe rinse my teeth with water after i drink it.
I definitely control much more my snack time then before, so, i try not to snack if i can`t brush my teeth right after it.
So, enjoy the life and the food..

cowlypso

#5 Post by cowlypso »

Hmm... chips are on the no-no list? My bad.

I eat nuts on a daily basis. Almonds, peanuts, etc. I make sure that I chew them carefully with my molars, where I have bands and not brackets.

And I've been on a total popcorn kick lately. At least once a day, if not more. Mmmmm....

Jelly beans at Easter.

I pretty much haven't even looked at the list since they gave it to me, and completely ignore it. We've got a "don't ask, don't tell" policy going. I complained about food getting stuck between a molar band and a tooth where there's a tiny gap, but told the assistant that I couldn't tell her what type of food it was. She just laughed and said she didn't want to know.

As for soda... Using a straw minimizes the contact with your teeth, and is recommended by many orthos and dentists. I generally try to stay away from it altogether, but when I do indulge, I try to use a straw. I bought a pack of straws to keep at home for those occassions.

Natalie

#6 Post by Natalie »

like the others have said i eat whatever i want, no change to before i was braced, yes i'm more careful but it really is no problem. i have never caused any damage to my braces, this time round or when i was a teen. Just eat what you can and don't worry about it! and about the water thing...i'm not a big fan of straight water either, i drink mine with squash/cordial. i;ve heard that habit thign to be true too so you could give it a go for 3 weeks! :)

markuhde

#7 Post by markuhde »

I get my braces Wednesday. My best friend who has had hers off a few months has been talking with me about all of this. She broke brackets on nuts and recommends I actually avoid those... but otherwise she ate the whole no no list (oh and she didn't chew gum but that's not eating...)

jennielee81

#8 Post by jennielee81 »

I tried to avoid some of the no- no foods, but the only thing I was really able to stop eating for the most part was nuts. Whole nuts that is.

I did break a bracket off biting into a club sandwich....that wasn't on the list!! :huh:

Anyway, I ate Doritos, Tostitos, Fritos, popcorn....everything except hard, whole nuts.

As for drinking the sodas, I would follow the suggestions above. I drank Diet Coke throughout my treatment and had no bad effects from it...I also continue to drink it now and I drank it for years before. Good clean up is vital!!

If you want to try the Fruit20 water, that's really tasty!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

PrincessMelody

#9 Post by PrincessMelody »

I think I have pretty much eaten everything on my no-no list

Corn on the cob, meat on the bones (ribs, chicken, etc), chips, chewy candy, gum, nuts, raw veggies (carrots, celery, etc), and soda.

The ony thing I should probably avoid is soda but I can't kick the diet coke fix. I have been trying to drink more iced tea (another addiction of mine). I try to drink it through a straw as often as I can though which helps minimize the contact on your teeth and when I can I follow up with water.

But I am not letting these things rule my life for the next couple years and you shouldn't either!
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

Lisa65

#10 Post by Lisa65 »

The only things on the no-no list that I haven't eaten are whole apples and corn on the cob, because I just can't bite into them.

I'm not a big chip (crisp) eater anyway but I've had a few and I've also eaten nuts, although picking all the bits of nut out of my teeth afterwards kind of spoiled the pleasure.

Just be sensible, and do a thorough cleaning routine and you should be fine.

ariel86

#11 Post by ariel86 »

for me chips or corn chips are not on the no no list. the only things on the no no list are whole apples, whole carrots, hard or sticky candies, gum,nuts and pop corn. i hate pop corn, i dont really feel like trying nuts yet (its only been one week) but gum i chew it everyday, i just cant imagine life without it! at least i eat sugarfree gum so i guess its fine! I ate corn chips with salsa and cheese a few times since i have braces and its really fine, it just hurts a little on the really crunchy parts!

TheShmo

#12 Post by TheShmo »

*Phew* Man, do I feel better! :-* I was soooo afraid there were going to be like "OMG, I can't believe you are eating that stuff!" comments all over the place LOL Well, I am utterly glad to know that I was just being my silly ole paranoid self ;) I have been craving popcorn for weeks now, but kept telling myself "nope, can't have it... your ortho will kill you" Turns out, the only think killing me is the craving :lol: , so bring on the popcorn!!

Thanks to everyone for making me feel like I am not a moron, just a little too much of a worry-wart! :HugeGrin: And thanks for the pointers too!! I'll definitely try the suggestions for the water, and if they don't work, I'll just be sure to clean up real well after my sodas :)

PrincessMelody

#13 Post by PrincessMelody »

PM - I am assuming you are referring to real iced tea (home made) as opposed to the canned varieties like Nestea? I seem to recall reading somewhere that those canned iced teas are terrible for the teeth too
:yuck: Blech, yes I can't stand Nestea so only the home made iced tea for me. If I am eating somewhere new and I don't know if their iced tea is freshly brewed or not I always ask. Nothing like going to take a sip of what you expect to be nice strong tea and getting a mouthful of disgusting, syrupy liquid that shouldn't even be allowed to be called tea :lol: No offence to those who like that stuff I just personally can't stand it. I also have a love for regular hot tea as well, Darjeeling being my favorite :D Although with all this tea drinking I do worry about staining...
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

lz

#14 Post by lz »

I'm 2 weeks and 2 days into my treatment and I eat whatever I want.
I had steak last night ate it just like normal didnt even have to chop it little. Ate popcorn last weekend didnt hurt anything. I'm careful though. :)

KatK

#15 Post by KatK »

I used to snack A LOT on chips and popcorn... I've definitely almost eliminated chips and have comletely eliminated popcorn.... but after reading this I might just to have some popcorn for the first time in 5 months. I MISS IT SO MUCH! :-)

Good topic!
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!