new here, newly braced too

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracieb

new here, newly braced too

#1 Post by bracieb »

I've been lurking for awhile, and soaking up all the great advice here.
The info I found on this site helped so much with everything- I'm sure glad you're here.

Like so many others I have always disliked my crooked teeth, my brother got the braces since his were worse and my parents couldn't afford braces for two of us.

So now I am 45 and sporting new ceramic braces and some very uncomfortable bands on my molars. I thought the spacer elastics were uncomfortable at first, but I miss them now... my poor tongue. I am employing the good advice found here and using wax like there is no tomorrow. I got the molar bands on yesterday, I had upper brackets two weeks ago and yesterday I also got the upper archwire, but only attached to three teeth for now. I feel like I have a frisbee in the front of my mouth- it is a bit hard to close my lips smoothly! The rest of the wire is on top of the brackets with two little bends over the canines. Bulky. I will also get lower braces as my treatment progresses.

I have a wire on the roof of my mouth attached to the molar bands, and next week I will get a lower one too, but it goes just behind the teeth. It makes me talk a little funny on the "s" sounds, but I will learn. I was supposed to get the lower one yesterday too, but the lab made it the wrong size. I think I am actually happier with that- I can get used to it a little at a time. It's a lot of hardware.

Eating is the big challenge now. My teeth don't hurt too much (it was much worse last week when they fit my molar bands- very tight teeth!). The problem is eating with the mouth sore on my tongue and trying not to create more sores. Arrgh. I never realized how much the tongue moves as you chew. And my cheeks...! I get frustrated and tired of it and I stop eating after a bit- I suppose it is built in portion control. I am eating soft foods, and trying to be creative about it.

My three daughters are also undergoing ortho treatment. They are doing quite well- they got all their archwires and headgear last week. I didn't want to be the only one in the family with crooked teeth- lucky hubby has straight teeth already. At least we can all commiserate. The eldest (12) has ceramics like I do, and the twins (10) have metal and are very proud of their colours!

This has gotten too long. I just wanted to introduce us and say hello and thanks for the advice.

Mbraced

#2 Post by Mbraced »

Hello, it's good to hear from you. I read a lot of information on here before getting my braces on as well. I got mine yesterday morning, the top ones; I get the bottom ones in about 6 weeks.

MATEO'S

#3 Post by MATEO'S »

CONGRATS :D im the mother of twins too mine are three, as far as eating goes your mouth will get better trust me...this is my last week in braces i get them off next friday may the 4 but good luck with your treatment..oh try taking smaller bites of food until you get use to them :wink:

acehigh

#4 Post by acehigh »

Hello! Glad you joined in on this great site. I'm a 44 year old female and have had braces myself for the past 4 1/2 months. The first week takes some adjusting, but it definately gets better with time. In fact, you will notice changes with the first week or two. It's quite amazing. I also did a lot of reading on this site, and finally signed in as of maybe two weeks ago. Keep applying that wax! :lol:

bracieb

thanks for the welcome!

#5 Post by bracieb »

Things are improving already- the pain in my tongue is less, but then I am not snacking. I'm also going thru a lot of wax, and doing salt water rinses. I tried an old remedy my Mom taught me many years ago- put alum on a wet Qtip and apply that to the sore. Leave it for a minute and rinse. It stings and tastes brutal, but it feels better. I was going to tory the hydrogen peroxide, but got put off by the warning label that states it has harmful fumes...? So I figured I'd try the alum- usually I use it on canker sores but brae sores will do.