Allergic to latex , but needs elastics.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

spaced*out

Allergic to latex , but needs elastics.

#1 Post by spaced*out »

what would an orthodontist do when your allergic to latex , but you need elastics?

spaced*out

#2 Post by spaced*out »

Thanks I never realized those were on the orthodontic market. My friend also is allergic to latex and they told her they may have to go another route instead so I do not know . Thanks for the reply. ( Oh yes my folder is flagged red so they don't use latex on me , but I will remind her)

spaced*out

#3 Post by spaced*out »

I am learning new things everyday. I am only 14 and I need to know as much as possible , because my predicted time in braces is three years.

firefly

#4 Post by firefly »

i just got done with an adjustment today, andi'm allergic to latex, and i get elastics at my next adjustment. and my ortho told me that she knows for a fact there are latex free elastics.

spaced*out

#5 Post by spaced*out »

I have to know whats going on in my mouth :) Thanks now I do know there are elastics for me on the market.

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

Yes, latex allergy is quite common, so many (or perhaps most) orthodontists have latex-free elastics. Several companies make them.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!