got my braces on today

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

siui6

got my braces on today

#1 Post by siui6 »

well i jus got back hme from getting my braces put on... it feels so weird:( im trying to have a positive attitude.. but i jus feel down right now. maybe after i nap 4 a bit il feel beta.after i got out the dentist room, the cashier wanted to see my new braces n i just felt tears coming to my eyes,i cudnt open my mouth n show her. i can feel a headache cuming on theres so much pressure in my mouth, it getting sore already.i dont even feel like eating now. im beginning to wonder if i did the right thing............sorry for whining guys.

Ives

#2 Post by Ives »

Just hang in there, it will get better, I promise.... Ive had mine in for just over 2 months and they feel like a part of me now. The first few days were bad but it progressivly got better. Follow the great advice given on this board and you will be fine.

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

PUGFAN

#3 Post by PUGFAN »

Congrats on getting your braces on. Hopefully you'll start to feel better soon. :) Please keep us updated on your progress.

pegasus

#4 Post by pegasus »

Congratulations on your braces. Hang in there-from what I've read it will be tough, but you know you will find tons of support here! Take some pain meds and take a nap!

siui6

#5 Post by siui6 »

thanks guys!! well i took that nap, n i feel soooooooooo much better! swallowed dwn sum food n did my first cleaning, i think i can get used to this :) thanks for the support, u guys are great. i think im going to post some pics to track my progress. watch this space!

Miss Smiley

#6 Post by Miss Smiley »

Yeah that initial shock of having so much extra stuff in your mouth is crazy. I felt that way too. I kept pulling my lips over them and checking to make sure my lips weren't open just a tad so that people could see them. Now, I don't care!!! Plus, people have been commenting that my teeth are already straighter. I even noticed that my teeth are starting to straighten out and look nice! When you feel sad, just think of "rain drops on roses and whiskers on kittens." Hehehe The Sound of Music is one of my all time favorite movies.

Kellyw :-)

#7 Post by Kellyw :-) »

I've just had my braces on today too. When I came out i was really paranoid that everyone was staring but after a couple of hours I already feel so much better. Its rubbing a bit at the back but apart from that I'm feeling fine.

How long will you have your braces on for?

iBorg

#8 Post by iBorg »

The important thing is this is a procedure (most people on this forum refer to it as a journey) that hopefully will make a positive improvement for the rest of your life.

You have received some excellent advice. I’ve been braces for about seven months and if I forget to stay well hydrated, my mouth feels it. Drink plenty of liquids!

Get your most recent smile picture and set it aside. Try to take pictures in the first two days with braces. When you get disgusted with the process, look at the progress shown in those pictures. Even after a couple of weeks, they’ll give you great encouragement.

Welcome to the board.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

acehigh

#9 Post by acehigh »

Hello! When I first had my braces put on I was so upset I went back to the ortho's office and told him I wanted them removed! :shock: I'm a 44 year old female, and I'll tell you, I was trying my best not to cry in front of the doctor......lol. He tried to convince me to give it a week, but that was out of the question. I was in a state of panic. :shock: Then he told me to give it an hour, (Wow, from a week to an hour because this man could see the state I was in....lol). Anyways, it's been about 5 months and I'm happy to see the results! The first day I forced myself to go to the store and act like everything was normal. It worked. It took about a week, but I got used to it, and even got a call from the ortho! What a nice, patient man.....lol.

siui6

#10 Post by siui6 »

well today my teeth feel very tender n sore, tried chewing bt it kinda uncomfortable coz if i bite down hard enuf then my back top bracket touch my back bottom one n im so scared il bite it off :? but im kinda getting used to it. today i went back to university, n my friends were all very supportive, but i didnt smile alot today :) so far there no chafing or anything.got my wax ready just in case. keeping hydrated, n that really helps!

it really hurts to floss, n it jus cant get in, my teeth r so tight together n tender.is that normal?

Kellyw.. the dentist estimates about 12 months..

Kat

#11 Post by Kat »

Once I got mine on going into the bathroom at the orthos office I looked in the mirror and almost hated these things. I really felt like I had just started my prison sentence knowing I was infor a couple years or more. Looking down that long journey.
Not positive? Correct.

BUT!!!!!
Yes it does get much better, I looked at it like we all do in the fact I am doing something for myself to better myself and after a few months in now every passing month I can see a nice difference. Would I trade and go back to where I was> No way. I'm serving this sentence all the way and when let off I'm going to be free and very happy and smile at everybody to the point to where they think I'm a weirdo or something.
It really does get better and attitude is most everything. It's hard sometimes but again it's a good thing.
Just think what a babe you'll be when it's over :lol: and it will go quick!

MissDiana

#12 Post by MissDiana »

First of all, congratulations on getting your braces!

Just like everyone else has said, it will get better in time. Most of the time I actually like my braces, because I can already seen such an improvement in my teeth, but even I have moments where I just want to rip them off!

As crazy as it sounds, you really will get used to them, and you'll be back to eating (almost) anything in no time!
Braces on 4/4/07 -
Braces off 3/31/08!

iBorg

#13 Post by iBorg »

C'mon folks have fun with it!

Think of it as jewelery for your teeth. You can even add colors for the season. You are a small part of the world able to do this, for yourself. I know it sounds weird and we all have reasons to hate them but if you can have fun with it, the process won't be a jail sentence but rather just a stage of life.

maybe I'm trying to be too positive but there's little reason to be too negative. As KK says "Braces don't stop you from doing things, you do that."

SMILE....you'll be amazed at who smiles back to you.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

Daz1865

#14 Post by Daz1865 »

I also got mine put on on Tuesday :)

Strangely, I prefer my mouth with them than without because my top few teeth are so crooked. At least I know something is being done now to change them :)

Eating is a bit of a pain and they do ache but its nothing I cant handle and i'm reliably informed it will go away.

It'll be a bit weird when all my friends see me with them on for the first time but apart from that, nothing to worry about.

iBorg

#15 Post by iBorg »

I've got ceramics on top. I've had people notice them for the first time two or three months after I got them.

Don't panic... it will be all right.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009