Waterpik flosser vs regular braces floss

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracieb

Waterpik flosser vs regular braces floss

#1 Post by bracieb »

My kids and I are all braced, and I bought us a waterpik electric flosser (who'da thunk it?) because flossing is a real chore, and I felt at least they would do it if it was a bit easier. Even if it isn't as good as string floss, that is better than not at all, or rarely. I am aiming for electric floss daily, and braces string floss a few times a week.

The thing wasn't expensive- $8 CDN, not much more than the braces floss. It is a rubber pointy thing and you wiggle it around your gums in between your teeth. I find it is much better at reaching between the molars and molar bands where I just can't see to floss the regular way, but I wonder if it is abrasive enough to really get that plaque.

Any opinions?

jma295psu

#2 Post by jma295psu »

Hey, guys.

I just wanted to add what I know to the discussion at hand. The waterpik flosser is not what people normally think of as a waterpik.

Instead, it is a handle like an electric tootbrush and a tip that is meant to be used as floss. The difference is that the tip is harder than floss, and it's meant to kind of poke through the interproximal spaces.

Hopefully this helps to clear up some of the confusion that is brought about with the mention of waterpik.

Jean

bracieb

#3 Post by bracieb »

Interesting reference! I am glad to hear something that says they are equal or close to equal. I will still get my kids (and me) to use the regular braces floss a few times a week. Often they are not as careful about their tooth care as they should be, so every bit helps. The power flosser is a gadget, and that is fun for them. It really tickles, too!

I think it doesn't matter what floss you use, with braces it will take longer and be far more difficult. The power flosser addresses that, but IMHO, it doesn't wrap around the teeth in any way and so doesn't get the inside surface of the tooth. It is a straight thing, and gets the in-between surface and around the gum very well- well at least as much as waxed floss would. The "floss" is smooth, flexible plastic, whereas the regular floss is a rougher surface and I think that takes off more plaque. The power flosser doesn't get the tight spot lower down between the teeth, either- just the top area around the gum.

I did ask our ortho about the power flosser, but he said they found the tips break too easily, so they don't recommend them. He isn't all that keen on waterpiks, either- I presume because they don't replace flossing and many people figure they do. He didn't say don't use it, more like it's not necessary.

I feel as if I seem rather paranoid about keeping my teeth really clean, but the thought of having gunk in there when I've always had clean teeth (floss daily and brush 2-3x daily) bothers me. I am a teacher, and I have no desire to knock people out with dragon breath from rotting stuff in between my teeth. Eeeeew. Not to mention breathing on my husband and family...!

So paranoid, it is! At least my dentist will be happy, and I won't have dragon breath!

Delag

#4 Post by Delag »

Hmmmmm.....I wonder if us surgical folks could use that while we are banded shut...... Any thoughts Meryaten?

manna22

hmm...

#5 Post by manna22 »

Well I called my orthodontist today, and they said that I should get one and they reccomend them!!! MY problem is...there are waterpik water jets and then ones without the water container connected...which one do I get?