The pain of a powerchain and a mouth full of elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

swede

The pain of a powerchain and a mouth full of elastics

#1 Post by swede »

I had my 3rd wire change today and left with a powerchain and bags of elastics. The powerchain hurt a little when they put on, but that's OK. What I very much dislike (I try not to hate anything in life) are the elastics I left with. First of all I can barely open my mouth, and all that practice to speak without lisping was for nothing :( it seems. It is really hard to talk when you can't open your mouth like normal. I sure hope that it gets better. I have to wear them 24/7 and only take off for eating and brushing. I was told to change them 3 times a day. My next appointment is in 7 weeks. I am sure that it varies, but is it common for the elastics to be used for a portion of the treatment in the middle or am I sentenced to elastics for the remainder of my treatment. I sure hope not. They came a lot earlier than I expected.

I was braced on January 31st, will have my Suresmile scan next time and estimated debanding is somewhere in Feb or March of 2008.

I had a really hard time getting used to my braces and not to be self concious about them. Now, I feel like I am back to square one with my mouth full of rubberbands :cry: .

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

Oooh, sorry to hear about this leg of your journey. I hope things get better for you. Cheer up! :smoken:
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

acehigh

#3 Post by acehigh »

Hi there! :D I am 5 months into treatment, and I've also been given elastics as of 3 weeks ago to correct an overjet (overbite). It isn't easy wearing these braces or elastics, but I find that since we've come this far, we have to keep a good attitude and go with the flow. (Which isn't always easy). I'm just glad I wasn't given elastics at the beginning of all this. :shock: You just have to get used to them, like you eventually got used to the braces. Sounds like you're having quite the time opening your mouth. I feel for you, but some day when our teeth are real nice we will all look back and realize it was worth it. :D Hang in there!!

lionfish

Re: The pain of a powerchain and a mouth full of elastics

#4 Post by lionfish »

but is it common for the elastics to be used for a portion of the treatment in the middle or am I sentenced to elastics for the remainder of my treatment.
Elastics can come and go depending on what your ortho wants to achieve. I wore four box and triangle elastics full time for 6 months, taking them out only to clean. A couple of months I went nights only on light triangle elastics and more recently I went back to medium strength box at nights and some daytime wear. I will get yet another configuration in a couple of weeks.

One gets used to them very quickly. And they really do move teeth.

Solrosen

#5 Post by Solrosen »

A fellow Swede with braces!?