weird bite involuntary reflex

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

crysredd

weird bite involuntary reflex

#1 Post by crysredd »

Hey everyone...

I have been braced for 2 weeks (tomorrow) and have noticed this weird bite thing going on. I notice out of nowhere when I have my jaw relaxed it will close shut involuntarily. Sometimes I even bite my tongue in the process.

Am I going nuts? Has anyone heard of this?

Crystal

p.s. - my ortho office just set up this cool website where I can get my record photos so when I get them together along with my braced photos I will post (I know I have been saying this - but I am working on it)

Cor1

I'm not alone!!!

#2 Post by Cor1 »

Hi there OOOh my I thought I had a problem, I have and do the EXACT SAME THING!!!!! And right now I have a tooth being pulled forward on top, and let me tell ya with my mouth SNAPS SHUT WHENEVER IT FREIKEN HURTS!!! I am soooo glad you asked this, hopefully someone will have a good response to it, but it is nice to know that I ain't the only one that seems to have this little PESKY SNAPPIN QUIRK!!!! :lol: :lol:

Cor1

crysredd

#3 Post by crysredd »

Yes... "snaps shut" would be the perfect way to describe this!
I am relieved to hear that I am not the only one. I am definitely going to mention this to my ortho on my next visit but that's not for 3 weeks (and from working in a doctors office most of my life, this isn't an emergency - lol)

KateG

#4 Post by KateG »

I had that in the first weeks when my braces went on. I decided it was because there was no comfortable position for my teeth to rest together so I was tensing up to hold them slightly apart. And if I lost concentration my jaw snapped shut. Then my teeth shifted a bit so I could close them and it stopped happening.

cowlypso

#5 Post by cowlypso »

In the first few weeks that I had my braces, that would happen to me in my sleep (I assume). I would wake up with the vague awareness of just having bitten down really hard on one tooth or another and have to feel to make sure that my teeth were all still in my mouth and not broken. Really freaked me out, but it stopped eventually.

acehigh

#6 Post by acehigh »

I find that now that I wear elastics, I'll wake up in the middle of the night because I've bitten my tongue. :shock: And yes, it's sometimes as if I'm clenching and biting down. I just sort of wiggle my jaw around and fall back asleep. Also, I've had dreams/nightmares about teeth.......lol. No better place to share this information than on this site. :D