New braces yesterday... HELP!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sashi

New braces yesterday... HELP!

#1 Post by Sashi »

Hi all.....Im 21 years old and just got braces yesterday :) I didnt really have too much to fix except very little crowding but Im getting married next year and thought it would be a good time. i have these braces on for 6 months and then invisalign.
Anyway.....why is it :that at night theres so much pain? During the day I am going through a lot of pain but not like last night! What can i do to minamize it? :(

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

Take some OTC pain meds like Advil or Tylenol before bed. That's what got me through the night and sometimes I still take it for the night-time bruxism.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

bracieb

#3 Post by bracieb »

At night you are a lot less distracted, so you notice the pain more. At least that is my theory!

All the advice works really well- my kids and I are all braced and the pain does go away slowly. I never thought I would go a day without wax when I got the molar bands, but you can get used to anything, I now think.

Good luck and hang in there!

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

Yep, good advice!

Pain is normal, however, not everyone experiences it or has it in the same way that you do. Take what you need to get through it. At night I would take Midol as it has something that makes me sleepy and tylenol. Just follow the label directions. :D

Every day will be an improvement. :soremouth:

You should soon be feeling much better!!

Best wishes to you!!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

kirjax

#5 Post by kirjax »

I got mine today and so far I am doing okay minus the fact that I hate the way I look. I just ate a cereal bar and it didn't hurt. But I only have tops on so maybe thats why. My two front teeth hurt though I tried at first to bite the cereal bar w/ those teeth...big mistake...but my molars don't hurt so that's where I'm doing my chewing for now. Just keep popping the pain reliever.