Soo. . .I'm new here. And I got braces yesterday.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Taylor

Soo. . .I'm new here. And I got braces yesterday.

#1 Post by Taylor »

Well, I guess I'll start with a little about myself. I'm 14, and I live in the U.S. I have two uncles that are dentists, and my grandpa and great-grandfather were both dentists. I've grown up surrounded by people with very, very nice teeth. I found this site when I first found out that I would need braces, so I've been surfing for a few weeks. I'd like to thank you guys a ton for making me more comfortable about getting braces and I look forward to my results.
I got braces (clear brackets) yesterday, and I guess it's been a pretty enjoyable experience. I ate a sandwich (with a knife and fork), and I'm definitely not in as much pain as I thought I would be in. The only thing that hurts enough for me to care is biting down and brushing. I've only got my tops in right now (bottoms come in a few months), and I've heard that they're the most painful, so I'm actually quite pleased with the first 24 hours. Anyways. . .this ends my introductory post.

alanme123

#2 Post by alanme123 »

hey dude congrats. I'd advise you to get some painkillers ready just in case because the pain comes in a few days after u get braces. Chew your pain out!

Taylor

#3 Post by Taylor »

Heh. Funny thing about painkillers. The evening after I got my braces, I took three aleve and an ibuprofen. The next morning, I was extremely nauseous and wanted to throw up so I stayed home sick yesterday. Still, not pain, no cheek irritation. I can eat sandwiches and bread and chips and chew gum (sugar free) pretty easily too. My ETT was 18-21 months. Not so bad, I guess. . .

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

Taylor, I'm glad your first day in braces went well. I'm sure with your family background, your time in braces will be a positive one.

I'm sorry to hijack your thread Taylor, but I feel that I really must comment on this painkillers subject. It's one that's come up before on these forums.

I agree with Meryaten here that it is not helpful to imply to people that if they feel they need and choose to take a painkiller for braces related pain then they must have a low pain threshold. Modern orthodontics isn't always pain-free. It depends on how extensive the work is, your mental state at the time of treatment, as well as your own individual tolerance to pain and a whole host of other factors.

The anticipation of pain can be as stressful on the body as the pain itself, and if taking OTC pain relief before or following an adjustment reassures the person and leads them to expect less discomfort, then I think it's a positive thing to do. It's also a known fact that taking the painkillers before the pain breaks through makes them work more effectively than leaving it till the pain gets really bad.

Most people can take a few OTC painkillers without any risk. NSAIDS such as ibuprofen are contra-indicated in people with asthma or stomach problems, but they are safe for most of us if taken as directed. They are pretty effective for tooth pain too. If you take them with food you are less likely to get stomach ache. Paracetamol (acetinomephen sp?) is gentler on the stomach but is generally not so effective for dental pain.

I personally have a high pain threshold. Only yesterday I allowed my orthodontist to tighten one of the screws in my jawbone without anaesthetic. Yes it hurt, but it was no worse than living with severe endometriosis which I did for about 20 years until it was diagnosed in my late 30s. I got so used to being in constant pain that I hardly noticed it anymore, until after surgery when I wasn't in pain anymore and realised what I'd been living with year in year out.

But if I'm in discomfort following an adjustment, like I am today after getting a thicker wire and the springs on my molars tightened up, then I take painkillers for a day or so afterwards. It means that I can go about my normal business without the discomfort in my teeth constantly taking precedence in my mind. I see no point in being a martyr and suffering needlessly.

cally

#5 Post by cally »

Taylor,

The Aleve was the likely culprit in your nausea. It's notorious for upsetting the stomach and really, 3 tabs was a bit overboard. Add in the Advil and yep, you got what you asked for! :mrgreen:

In my experience with different kinds of pain, I've found ibuprofen (Advil) to be the most effective with the least stomach problems. You might want to give that a try by itself the next time you need something.

Sandwiches, gum...you are a WILD MAN!! :P

Cally

Miss Smiley

#6 Post by Miss Smiley »

You should be careful about how much and how often you take Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) because too much over time can cause G.I. bleeding. Different medications help aleviate pain differently, like the way Tylenol, Advil, and aspirin all are pain killers too, but they address the pain through different courses.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

I always took an ibuprofen before an adjustment. I never felt like I was weak for it! My kid's ortho reminds me to give one to my kids before their adjustments. Or at least did for the older two and still does for the little one (little??)

When a teen takes pain killers (over the counter) I think it should always be monitored by an adult. Taking too much tylenol, for instence, can cause liver (or is it Kidney) damage. The NSAID's can really eat at the stomach.

As for whether it was a waste of time for Tylor to take them, we will never know. If he'd not taken them, he may have been in pain or discomfort. That is not for us to judge.

If taken correctly 8) , they will not hurt, they are not in short supply and they are not expensive so why not??

None of the 4 braces people in this house had a painfree experience. All of us had painful days and painless days. But we all felt pain at one point or another and were grateful for the relief that advil and tylenol provided.

Good luck to you Tylor!! Your attitude is awesome! You will get loads of help and support from the folks on Archwired! Have a wonderful weekend!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

jennielee81

#8 Post by jennielee81 »

Different medications help aleviate pain differently, like the way Tylenol, Advil, and aspirin all are pain killers too, but they address the pain through different courses
that was well put!

I got an ulcer in my tummy from taking advil for too long (aobut 3 weeks) period of time without being sure there was food in there first. That took a really long time to heal. :P

Thanks for pointing this out, Smiley!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Miss Smiley

#9 Post by Miss Smiley »

Just giving insight on what I know, I don't want anyone to get sick or have any problems other than the movement of stubborn teeth or the dilemma of what color ligs to get. Kidney or liver failure would be horrible just because they took too much pain killers during ortho tx.

SnowSara

#10 Post by SnowSara »

Bravo for having an EXCELLENT attitude, Taylor! Best of luck with your treatment!

I've found the salt-water rinses to be the best advice I've taken from this board. When I get lazy and don't do them I start to notice a bit of irritation creep up, so I quickly put myself back on track by keeping some salt in my desk drawer at work. Now I have no excuses, even if I'm not at home! You might look silly, but you could do the same at school ;)

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

SnowSara

#11 Post by SnowSara »

Bravo for having an EXCELLENT attitude, Taylor! Best of luck with your treatment!

I've found the salt-water rinses to be the best advice I've taken from this board. When I get lazy and don't do them I start to notice a bit of irritation creep up, so I quickly put myself back on track by keeping some salt in my desk drawer at work. Now I have no excuses, even if I'm not at home! You might look silly, but you could do the same at school ;)

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

spaced*out

#12 Post by spaced*out »

Welcome Taylor I am 14 also I have been in braces for 2 months and had both tops and bottoms bonded the same day , also had a RPE installed too. I came back about a month and a half later and got a LHA bonded. I had four teeth extracted post braces and have been predicted to be in braces for three years. I hope your braces journey will go as well as mine has and I wish you the best of luck. But remember you need to follow your orthos set of rules!

kirjax

#13 Post by kirjax »

I took two motrin before my appointment. Haven't touched a pill since. No major pain or discomfort.

However with spacers I popped pills left and right. Totally different experience. For me the braces are more annoying then spacers but the spacers were more painful.

I agree though that 3 Aleve was a bit too much. Infact on the pill bottle I believe it states to only take one. I also know a few people who've had bad reactions to it. IT's a very strong pain reliever.

For me I usually take Tylenol RAPID release or Motrin and that usually works. Sometimes IBprofen if necessary.

But everyone's pain tolerance truly is different. I was 8-9 years old and I was having cavities filled with NO novacane!!! I also have piercings and tattoos so I am quite capable of handling pain where as some people are not.

People should feel comfortable taking whatever they feel they need to relieve their discomfort. The pain meds are offered for a reason...therefore take them if needed but it's always good to follow the pills instructions as well :wink:

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

Miss Smiley

#14 Post by Miss Smiley »

Meryaten wrote:
Taking too much tylenol, for instence, can cause liver (or is it Kidney) damage.
Liver, I think.
Both because your kidneys have to filter out all the "junk" in your body too.