Molds and a terrible gag reflex!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Carolinahigh12

Molds and a terrible gag reflex!!!

#1 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

Okay, so today I went and had records done and to my surprise, this phase was the hardest. I have a terrible gag reflex and I threw-up on the nurse. The paste for the molds was suppose to taste like peaches, but it didnt and the tray was overfilled with the paste because of the placement of my teeth. Will I have to do this again at the end of my treatment,and has anyone had the same problems?
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

bracieb

#2 Post by bracieb »

I can't say I threw up on anyone, but I do find it a bit claustrophobic.

Last time I had some trouble breathing, but I just moved my head up a bit and it was better. The mold gunk was getting pretty far back in my throat and it was rather uncomfortable. Won't say I liked it, but I survived. At least it is quick. I chose the unflavoured stuff- it was fine.

Sorry you had such a bad time.

skyclad

I had the same problem

#3 Post by skyclad »

My stuff was wintergreen flavored. The asst shoved the tray thing in the top of my mouth and I tried to move it a little forward so the tray did not touch that spot but he wouldnt let me.

It is extremely easy to set off my gag reflex. Afterwards he hands me a bib and i said "now I get a bib?" I left a little upset with him.

We get along a little better now.
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath

Dark_angel

#4 Post by Dark_angel »

I hate moulds and knew off the first time that i hated them. But the last time i had them done i made sure i had small trays and tried to just relax a little bit and listen to the radio, i didnt gag and i didnt need a sick bowl.

Unfortunatley after they've taken my braces off in a few weeks i'll need new moulds done :( something im really not looking forward to, but i'll live. The NHS dosent do flavoured stuff anyway.

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

I like mine mint flavored and somehow, I always manage to gag but not heave on them. One day I will give them what's coming to them for shoving it so far back.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Carolinahigh12

#6 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

Well I am glad that I am not the only one!!!... I didnt think that was something that would have happened to me, but..what can I say :). It hadnt been mentioned up here before so I didnt know what to expect. Hopefully this will help the next person who goes through the molds ( whether it is for expanders or for braces) :)
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

joney

#7 Post by joney »

I hate this process but at least nowadays it is quite quick. I remember as a teenager getting this done and the orthodontist left the room to leave it to "set" for what seemed like an eternity. I hardly remember anything about my first round in a hawley type brace as a teenager but the thought of the molds and the sense of panic I felt is imprinted. Still not pleasant but at least now it is a lot quicker. This time around I tried not to panic but once or twice I felt I might lose it.
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Taylor

#8 Post by Taylor »

They didn't even give me any flavor options. It was so warm and gross it was like someone force-feeding you silly putty. Plus the assistant who was doing it had bad breath. :yuck:

About me:
Sentenced: 18-21 months (not to bad, eh?)
Problems: Gaps in between four front, lower teeth going too far up when I bit down, one front tooth slightly ahead of the other
Type: First six on top ceramic, rest are metal, powerchains (uggh)

GinaLime

#9 Post by GinaLime »

Silly putty -- that's exactly what that stuff is like! I was really unprepared when it came time for my "molds." I thought I was going to bite into some sort of silicone thing, but nooo. I must admit I got a bit panicky, but I just slowly and deliberately breathed through my nose like Meryaten suggested. But I'm sure many folks have heaved over it.

aschelkin

#10 Post by aschelkin »

I had impressions done for the first time in my life when records were done for my braces. I did not expect it to be uncomfortable AT ALL, but my first reaction when the assistant stuck the molds in my mouth was to pull them out. Drool was pouring out of my mouth like a faucet and the nurse had me in a head lock... not my proudest moment!

BracesRacer

#11 Post by BracesRacer »

Interesting... I really did not have much of a problem with it. Maybe because I had no idea it was coming. I remember it bothering me at first but I have learned how to relax myself when I am in those dentist chairs... I can fall asleep in them now, haha.

juf_84

#12 Post by juf_84 »

I've had the molds done twice- at the beginning and last week, at the beginning of the end. I haven't had a problem- I read on this site to relax and breathe through your nose- and I did that and no worries!

It will be easier when you get them next done as hopefully it means retainers are not too far away!

Best of luck with it all.

Jennifer
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

momof2grlz

#13 Post by momof2grlz »

Unfortunately, you'll need molds for your retainer(s) again at the end of treatment. I have a pretty severe gag reflex, too and having molds done is miserable. No flavoring in the silly putty, either. My ortho's asst. said that flavoring can cause you to salivate more, which can actually trigger the gag reflex. My best advice is to sit as far forward as you can and breathe through your nose - and try not to think about gagging. I know that's hard, but it even happens to me when I brush my teeth. If I think about gagging, I do.

Thankfully, it's over quickly.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Lillers

#14 Post by Lillers »

Yup, the mold-taking sessions definitely make me queasy too. Last time they had to be done, the tech must have noticed me turning green:yuck:, cuz she suggested (as others have) slow, deep breaths and wiggling my toes. Oddly enough, one or both of these suggestions did help.
Braced March 2005 (lower); November 2005 (upper); all ceramic. Goal = correcting overbite.

Lower jaw surgery was successfully performed December 18, 2006.

skyclad

Interesting

#15 Post by skyclad »

I didnt even think about the flavored stuff and the excess salivation triggering gag reflex.

My xray tech suggested lifting a leg up in the air. You are so busy concentrating on keeping your leg in the air you forget about gagging.
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath