Retainer Questions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Paws917

Retainer Questions

#1 Post by Paws917 »

All the major work is pretty much done on my teeth and all that is left to be done is "tweaking." I'm already anticipating the day my braces are removed as my ortho said we're ahead of schedule. I've been reading some of the stories about when people got theirs off and I have a couple questions about retainers.

Are the clear plastic retainers that you are supposed to wear 24/7 meant to be worn for the rest of your life?

My husband, who got braces shortly after we were married, doesn't have a retainer. He has a thick metal wire or band that is cemented to the back of his teeth that goes from one end to the other. Does anyone have something like that? If so, what are the parameters for getting that metal bar vs. the 24/7 retainer?

Thank you!

Erin