salt water rinses

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

artsyalice

salt water rinses

#1 Post by artsyalice »

I keep seeing advice on taking salt water rinses both before and after getting braces. What is the purpose of the rinses? I can see rinsing after braces to get food particles out, but why rinse before?
thanks!
Alice

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

from this site

http://www.saveyoursmile.com/dzcankersores7.html#ref3

Salt-Water Rinses

"The effectiveness of salt-water rinses is variable. In a British study, subjects rated salt water rinses the least effective of several avaliable treatment options (for mouth sores). Some people, however, do benefit from salt water rinses. Because this treatment option is so inexpensive it is worth trying. Simply mix a teaspoon of salt into a cup of warm water. Wash with the salt water for about a minute before spitting the salt-water back out."

The British study mentioned can be found here

Edres, M.A.G., Scully, C., and M. Gelbier Use of proprietary agents to relieve recurrent aphthous stomatitis British Dental Journal 1997, 182;144-146. Sadly my ATHENS password only gives me access back to 2000, so I can't check it out.

Anyway, back to your question. Most of the references I've managed to find say that a fairly weak salt solution is a soothing home remedy for mouth sores. It's harmless and if you feel it helpful then it's easy and convenient to use. I've certainly found it soothing when I've had wires poking me or brackets rubbing, and I use it when I feel the need. The warmth of the water used can also be soothing if your teeth ache after an adjustment.

As Meryaten has said, there are members here who swear by its efficacy as a preventative. If you want to use it, it certainly won't do you any harm, and it might help. :)

insanemommy03

#3 Post by insanemommy03 »

Kiwi,
Thats really interesting!! I remember as a child my grandma swore by salt water rinses for everything as well.. Sore throats, healing sores everything!!

Thats so interesting about the baths though!!! I think I should try that!! sounds soo relaxing as well!!!

Great! Post!!!