Nosebleeds - does this happen to you?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Irinadax

Nosebleeds - does this happen to you?

#1 Post by Irinadax »

I've never had a nosebleed in my life, until a month ago when I got one (kinda freaked me out too :shock: ). Then this Saturday I got another one. I hadn't made the connection before till someone it brought it to my attention, but both times it's happened after the Friday I get my braces adjustment. I looked this up on-line and found that nosebleeds can occur after an adjustment.

My question is: how common is this? Is this indicative that perhaps the adjustments are too intense??? Any thoughts?

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

I used to suffer from nosebleeds quite frequently but i've never had one close before or after an adjustment. Could perhaps be to do with pressure from the braces?

platinum

#3 Post by platinum »

I had once a nose bleed a day after adjustment. My nose started to bleed without any reason. It did not last long, though.

adrienne

#4 Post by adrienne »

After I broke my nose a few years ago ( :lol: ) I stopped having nosebleeds, and I haven't had one ever since ..
I haven't got my braces on yet, because I still have a consultation in June, so it will be interesting to see whether I'LL get nose bleeds, because before I broke my nose, I had them very frequently :D
;ADRIENNE
RPE for one month: 45 turns
quad-helix, lingual arch
ceramic braces for 18 months

braces off!

Pixel Witch

#5 Post by Pixel Witch »

I get nosebleeds pretty frequently when it is very dry. When I first moved from NY to So Cal, dry season was TORTURE, but with better hydration (and acclimation to the climate) I have them much less.

I still get pretty dry and bloody sometimes, but I haven't had an actual dry season nosebleed in awhile.

(crossing fingers) hah

Laurie

#6 Post by Laurie »

I have no idea if it had anything to do with your adjustments but I've always had nosebleeds. Once I even had to go in and have the inside of my nose cauterized because I had a nosebleed that just owuldn't stop. And it wasn't a little drip-drip situation. It was full on pouring. Blech! I was told it was from allergy irritation blah blah blah....

Anyway, something I've learned is that when my nose tries to start drying out if I'll put a little Neosporin on a Q-tip and swab the inside of my nose it helps prevent them.

Now I'm not a doctor so don't sue me if you accidently slip with the Q-tip and ram your brain or wind up having a horrible deathly allergic reaction to neosporin. LOL! So try it at your own risk.