Speaking with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Willz

Speaking with braces

#1 Post by Willz »

Does anyone else have trouble with pronunciation of words? I have particular trouble with F’s. Its rather embarrassing.

TLB in Minneapolis

#2 Post by TLB in Minneapolis »

Yes, the F's are hard for me too. I do have a little trouble speaking because my lips get stuck in my brackets. I speak a lot slower than I used to, which is probably a good thing. I feel like telling people, "No, I don't have a speech impairment, I just have braces!"

GinaLime

#3 Post by GinaLime »

It's hard for me to pronounce certain words too, though I find that if I'm wearing lip-gloss I can speak much more easily. The other day I forgot my lip balm, my lips totally dried out and I could barely get my lips over my teeth!
Bimaxillary protrusion, 4 MM of overjet with a small overbite

chillin-in-grilz

#4 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

When I first got them on i had troubles with the F's as well.
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

LaaLaa

#5 Post by LaaLaa »

At first I actually didn't have any problems pronouncing words but as the days passed, I too boarded the "can't pronounce words that start with F correctly" wagon. :lol: I feel like I'm whistling whenever I say a word that starts with F....which I guess maybe a plus for me since I can't whistle!! :lol: The most annoying thing about that though is my phone number consists of quite a few 4's, so many people have to ask me twice for it.

mikecl

#6 Post by mikecl »

I've had an upper brace since 11 May and have found saying certain words difficult but it's all part of the learning process and the braces experience.

Mike
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Upper Ceramic Brace - 11 May 2007
1 Extraction and Lower Ceramic Brace - 13 July 2007
2 x Elastics - 9 April 2008

Story so far...
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... c&start=30

Miss Smiley

#7 Post by Miss Smiley »

I had trouble with S and F, but I wasn't sure if it was also inpart of having no 1st premolars and extra big teeth with ceramic brackets in a mouth where my lips hardly covered my naked teeth.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

acehigh

#8 Post by acehigh »

Hello!! When I first had my braces put on my f's were whistling!! :shock: I found myself saying my f's very quietly at work because of this......lol. I even went as far as sticking wax in between the front teeth under the archwire....but somehow it just didn't work. I'd walk around the house practicing new ways to pronounce my f's. (I'd talk to myself a lot back then because of this......lol). I hate to admit it, but I was starting to stress out. :shock: It does go away!! It may take about two weeks, but you'll notice it gone when one day you realize you're not worried about using words with the letter f......lol. :lol:

acehigh

#9 Post by acehigh »

One more comment........I usually put a small dab of wax on every top front bracket before work so that when I smile my lips won't get caught up on them. :wink: Your lips nicely slide over the brackets without getting all hung up.....lol.

MiamiRox05

#10 Post by MiamiRox05 »

When I first got braced, it was even worse, I had these ceramic things glued to the back of my 2 front teeth so my over bite would hit my bottom brackets, any how, It was horrible I was so embarassed for the first week because I talked funny. But then I learned to reposition my tongue else where so it sounded better and after I had those things removed everything was back to normal, just like the braces, the talking needs getting used to. After a while you won't even remember it.

Thathrill

#11 Post by Thathrill »

The first day was the worst. I was repeating every sentence to everyone. LOL It has gotten better but I still struggle with speaking clearly. I try to talk slower and make it as clear as I can but Fs are difficult
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

Zondrae

#12 Post by Zondrae »

I haven't really had much trouble - well not until this adjustment anyway! :lol: Now I've got a really whistly S - I've just started with elastics so I think that is why. I'm sure it will pass soon enough.

nice teeth

#13 Post by nice teeth »

Yes I have a lisp now, I'm kinda sounding like sylvester the cat :lol:

Phil098342wq

#14 Post by Phil098342wq »

I have always had some speach problems. In college, 2 years ago, I was given a huge speech. I had run over it in my mind a thousand times. It was on our Civic Center park where our capitol building is built. The speech contained the word capitol more than twenty times. Everything was going good till I came to the first captil, cop tol, and the speech was ruined before I got through the thesis. I made an appointment to see a speech therapist and I will always have some trouble. So I told myself one thing I would do would practice my pronounciation as much as I could with braces because I knew it would be hard, but second when they come off I will be mr smile speech man! (I also stutter when I start a sentence with "I")

kypsis

#15 Post by kypsis »

I didn't have any problems for the first 3-4 days after the braces went on, but since then I'm having a kind of a lisp. S's are the worst, very whistly, like others have said about themselves. I think it's because the teeth are in slightly different positions now than the tongue is used to and constantly moving (however slowly), so the tongue has to re-learn the positions to go to for pronouncing different letters and words. Hopefully this will pass soon, cause I am getting tired of saying every sentence twice! LOL.