Extractions Before brackets or after??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ladysteph117

Extractions Before brackets or after??

#1 Post by ladysteph117 »

I'm a newby and I just wanted to find out what he general consensus is... how many of you had your extractions before brackets and how long before they put the brackets on and how many of you had the brackets before extractions?? I have to have 4 bicuspids removed 2 upper and 2 lower. Thanks for the help!

GinaLime

#2 Post by GinaLime »

Hi there. When you get your extractions really depends on your ortho. I got four teeth extracted in 2 appointments, with the last taken out about a week before my braces went on. But it varies a lot ... many don't get teeth extracted until well into their treatment.
Bimaxillary protrusion, 4 MM of overjet with a small overbite

Miss Smiley

#3 Post by Miss Smiley »

I got mine all done a week before b-day. Ortho said he wanted me to have it all done before b-day.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

LaaLaa

#4 Post by LaaLaa »

My Ortho initially wanted me to get all 4 bicuspids extracted before getting the brackets put on but she gave me an option to get my uppers partially braced for aesthetic reasons (so people wouldn't look at my teeth and think why does she have all these gaps?). So, I went with that route and got my uppers partially braced, skipping the two bicuspids that needed to get extracted of course. As for my bottoms, well, it was absolutely necessary to get them extracted first because a bicuspid that needed to go was blocking a tooth, preventing my doctor from putting the bracket on.

MetalMouse

#5 Post by MetalMouse »

I had my wisdom teeth and 4 other teeth extracted about two weeks before I had braces. I had all these gaps but they didn't care. Do it before you get the brackets.

acehigh

#6 Post by acehigh »

I am over five months into treatment and now wear elastics for an overjet/overbite. My ortho said he would let me know if I need to have two extractions if the elastics aren't giving the proper results. :?

MiamiRox05

#7 Post by MiamiRox05 »

I had all my wisdom teeth removed a month before my braces were put on, the ortho wouldn't even allow me to put them on until I had the teeth removed.

nice teeth

#8 Post by nice teeth »

I had 3 wisdom teeth and a baby canine extracted with my braces on. One of my brackets came off on the molar I think from all the prying of my wisdom teeth. No problem though they put it back on.

Carolinahigh12

#9 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

I had two upper wisdom teeth removed before b-day. Primary reason was the ortho didnt see the point of doing records on teeth that would not be there when I start treatment, so he advised to get them removed prior to having my records and impressions done on my teeth. That was 3 weeks ago.
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

*boom!*

#10 Post by *boom!* »

I had the same four teeth removed that you did and had the brackets put on first for the same reason that someone else mentioned, ortho said sometimes you get weird looks if you just have gaps. I can't imagine that it would matter to the ortho either way, really.
[/url]

Dark_angel

#11 Post by Dark_angel »

I had four premolars removed over two appointments, the last was a week or so before i had my braces on.

KK Cat

#12 Post by KK Cat »

I guess it's different for everyone, no 2 treatments will be exactly the same. I have had 2 upper bicuspid extractions on May 9th and I get braced on May 25th. Both dentist and ortho seemed happy enough with that arrangement. I feel from my own point of view that I needed at least 8/9 days to let extractions settle and not have to deal with braces on top of that, OK now though and looking forward to getting on with the braces (hope I still fee so optimistic this time next week!)

jess214

#13 Post by jess214 »

I had my left bicuspid extractions the day I went for a consultation, and my right ones the week after. And in another week, I was braced!
braced w/ ceramic brackets & wire ligs - 28th Nov, 06
debanded! + Essix retainers - 5th Nov, 08

AngelOfLife

#14 Post by AngelOfLife »

Four teeth removed before braces.