pain question for all the pro's out there

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

manna22

pain question for all the pro's out there

#1 Post by manna22 »

1 month into braces!!! WOO HOO I'm eating more and more everyday..but I wont lie. I'm a bad flosser. It's SO HARD I'm very impatient and just give up after a tooth or so. lol

BUT here's my problem....MY right side molars are very very very sensistive..it's still hard to chew anything...I tried flossin and my gums started bleeding so my ortho suggested a waterpik. I got a water jet irigator...used the high pressure one..and my gums started bleeding again!! All my other teeth are fine...and I'm having to chew a lot with my Left side b/c of this. I go in for a cleaning next wednesday the 30th. Any suggestions in the meanwhile?????? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

MetalMouse

#2 Post by MetalMouse »

Flossing will get much easier. Just keep trying to do it, even if it takes you forever. You'll soon get the hang of it, and you'll be able to floss pretty fast. Once you have braces off, normal flossing will be cake!

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

I'm sure that Rory, our resident dentist on here once said "if it bleeds then brush till it stops"

From this site http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 003062.htm

"Bleeding from the gums is mainly due to inadequate plaque removal from the teeth at the gum line. This will lead to a condition called gingivitis, or inflamed gums. If plaque is not removed through regular brushing and dental appointments, it will harden into what is known as tartar. Ultimately, this will lead to increased bleeding and a more advanced form of gum and jawbone disease known as periodontitis."

You should brush gently after every meal with a soft brush. Rinsing your mouth out with diluted hydrogen peroxide or warm salt water will heal any soreness should the bleeding be due to toothbrush abrasion. Use the Waterpik on the lowest setting to massage your gums, and keep on flossing, even if it bleeds.

Your hygienist will be able to give you more specific advice next week, but flossing is very important. A waterpik does not remove the plaque film from between your teeth, and this can harden into tartar which can aggravate the bleeding.

Here's Rory's quote viewtopic.php?t=18433&start=0&postdays= ... ding+brush

SDFD TSchott

#4 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Invest in an Oral B Triumph.

I got one for christmas last year, bought me a few new attachments for the toothbrush and it works like a charm. In fact it has an attacment for flossing so you don't have to deal with the regular floss and trying to get the floss through the brackets, the archwire and everything else. Its worked wonders for me and my dentist loves how well I have my teeth cleaned. In fact with that being said the last 2 times I had a cleaning I didn't even get charged anything cause there wasn't anything really to do!

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

manna22

#5 Post by manna22 »

thanks guys!!! Seems today was a good day on tryin to chew back there...I have a SoniCare tooth brush I'm thinking I might need a good cleaning since getting BRACED and maybe shown a way to regain my patience cuz it just seems impossible to floss my molars!

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

I bought one of those power flossers, but the pesky thing wouldn't go into my gaps anyway.