spacers in-----with a big accident

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ishasha

spacers in-----with a big accident

#1 Post by ishasha »

They finally put the the spacers in for the lower crowns. When the assistant was trying to put one in for the crown on the right side, she pulled it so hard that my crown fell out!!! :soremouth: :yikes: :Questions:

I was so shocked! But they managed to glue it back on and waited a little while and eventually put the spacers in. Phew! :shock:

It's been 4 hours and I haven't really felt any soreness except that I can feel there is something between the teeth and I really wanna take them out. :shock:

My ortho had originally planed one week before she can put the brackets on, but now that she thinks my teeth are too tight, she wanna wait for two weeks. :-(( So that means I'll have to have these unpleasant things on for two weeks. :-(( :-((

The assistant said since my teeth are so tight, they are going to get real sore. :soremouth: And asked me to take some tylenol. I'm pregnant so I really wanna avoid any painkiller. I hope it won't hurt that back at least I'm not felling anything major right now, or maybe it's because it's too early to tell. :roll:

Anyways, that's my story today. :oops:
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

Awww... I hope the pain doesn't get too bad for you. Crowns and braces make a bad combo, I know. I didn't get spacers but I cracked the porcelain on 2 crowns the day before b-day. So my lowers got pushed back 2 weeks until they could get another set made from a better lab. After all of that, things are going much better now that I don't have to worrry about much.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

kirjax

#3 Post by kirjax »

Spacers are a pain and you will most likely be sore however it's not the end of the world. It goes by quick! I was fortunate I only had mine for 6 days and I don't have crowns but I did have a large filling that caused a bit of pain. However the ortho said it's normal. Good luck!

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

I didn't mean that people with crowns are always going to have a problem with ortho. I was just poking fun of that fact that kirjax and I, both had a shakey start with our tx due to crowns.

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

Sometimes I forget that people take things literally when they only see written words. And to back you up Mer, I have 7 crowns and they are holding up beautifully. It's just a bummer when silly things cause an inconvenience to tx. All is well after I got all braced up.

ishasha - once you're braced, you'll have nothing to worry about except the normal stuff like what color ligs to get, getting your cleaning schedule sorted, and what crunchy foods can you get away with eating, etc. I think my last post referred to you as kirjax, oops. (too much archwired while at work)

ishasha

#6 Post by ishasha »

Thank you for your support and suggestions, guys/gals. :D It's always good to know someone is there for you...

Note I'm six months into braces already. :D It's just that so far it's been uppers only. So I really look forward to the bottom ones. +\+

Regarding the spacers. It's the end of Day two now. Surprisingly, they are not so bad at all! :) It's actually less uncomfort than the brace day (uppers) for me. It feels kind of itchy from time to time and when I chew on something it's absolutely not nice at all, but most of the time I don't feel bothered. Sometimes I can feel the front teeth have been pushed forward. But in all, it's not as bad. So I'm quite relieved. Now I just wish time could fly and I could see the complete set of brackets in my mouth now! Let them start working ASAP! :thumbsup:

ishasha

#7 Post by ishasha »

Meryaten wrote:So I had a chat to my ortho today on the topic of crowns. We have seen here on ArchWired just once (or has it been twice?) that someone has actually had a crown come off when a band was removed (The one I remember was Attagirl: viewtopic.php?t=14366&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0). I mentioned this to him, and he said that, in his opinion, a crown wouldn't come off with the band unless it was already getting to be loose, so it sort of saved it from happening at a less opportune time "like when you're on vacation". I laughed. Whether you buy into his statement or not, it's definitely true that had Attagirl's crown waited one more day to come off, it would indeed have been just the scenario he described. :?

Meryaten, I agree with your ortho. (although I know nothing about crowns. ) The Dentist said there is no way to take the crown out except for drilling. :roll: The fact that it did come out means it was not glued very well? Anyways, I just wish at that time they could change the metal crown to a ceramic one. :lol:

insanemommy03

#8 Post by insanemommy03 »

I got the spacers as well this week. I have one on the top that is sticking out a little so my teeth are a lil bouncy LOL!! I keep biting on them and doing that feels good for some reason!!

Maybe I am a lil wierd!! I am sure I will be sore tomorrow!!!

So sorry about having them for 2 weeks!! It will go by fast!!

Delag

#9 Post by Delag »

I am six months into braces and I have 4 temporary crowns. I have had no problem at all. My dentist said it would be a huge waste of money to get the good crowns put on now. After braces and surgery my bite will be so different that anyting he makes now won't fit well after. I may have to replace them during treatment, but that will only be $200 a pop. This isn't usually done this way, it just so happens that the crowns needed placing just when I decided to go ahead with braces.

ishasha

#10 Post by ishasha »

Well, I guess it's worth an update. I was laughing too early... :roll:

It's been a week since the spacers were put in. but three days ago, one of them fell out. I was chewing on some cookies. It somehow worked its way out. :shock: Then yesterday, I was chewing on some vegetable. I guess I chewed too hard??? I ended up pushing the ring all the way inbetween the teeth. It was so unfortable: itchy, pain, and something I can't call. Anyways, I can't stand it one minute so I went home and picked it out. :roll:

Today I went back to the office have both put back. This time it seemed much easier for them to put the spacers in there. I guess the previous ones did have effects. 8)

I still have one more week to go though. :cry: I just can't wait...

ishasha

#11 Post by ishasha »

Meryaten wrote:
I got the spacers as well this week. I have one on the top that is sticking out a little so my teeth are a lil bouncy LOL!! I keep biting on them and doing that feels good for some reason!!
Yup! One of mine stuck up a bit like that, and I too would sit and gently chew on it - felt almost like a little mini-massage for the teeth! It did feel good :D
But I'm afraid when I really chew on it, it gets pushed deep in between the teeth. :cry:

MsTiaLia

#12 Post by MsTiaLia »

Meryaten wrote:Welcome, ishasha!
Contrary to Miss Smiley's pronouncement that braces and crowns mix poorly,
(Disclaimer: I am not a dental professional nor do I play one on television)
I don't have any crowns, but I will be getting two when my braces come off. My dentist didn't want me to get them prior to my orthodontic treatment because she said they could be damaged during the process and I'd just have to get new ones when the braces came off. She made it seem like damage to them would be likely. Alternately, my ortho put metal bands on those teeth to protect them until I get crowns.