Need advice, soon

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Irinadax

Need advice, soon

#1 Post by Irinadax »

I had two bi-cuspids extracted prior to treatment. One of the gaps is not closing. The ortho thinks it's b/c during the extraction there was some bone loss. The ortho is thinking of giving me a bone graft in that gapped area in order to 'strenthen the site' so we can move the back tooth though it in order to close it.

I need advice folks. I'm uncertain about the need for this procedure. I'm meeting with the oral surgeon in a few days to discuss it. This is the same oral surgeon that extracted the bi-cuspid and possibly bone along with it.

I wish I had known about this site prior to the extractions, I might've done more research/ b/c I believe now the extractions were a mistake and have caused too much space. NOw I'm facing another 'permanent procedure' and I want to make sure this is the right thing.

Has anyone on this board had this done? Is this 'normal'?

In all honesy, I'm considering getting an implant for the gap instead of doing all this movement b/c it's been 1yr and 5 months and that molar that is supposed to move foward to cover the gap, hasn't even budged!

rsprouse

Re: Need advice, soon

#2 Post by rsprouse »

I had two bi-cuspids extracted prior to treatment. One of the gaps is not closing. The ortho thinks it's b/c during the extraction there was some bone loss. The ortho is thinking of giving me a bone graft in that gapped area in order to 'strenthen the site' so we can move the back tooth though it in order to close it.
This is a good solution to the problem you describe
I need advice folks. I'm uncertain about the need for this procedure. I'm meeting with the oral surgeon in a few days to discuss it. This is the same oral surgeon that extracted the bi-cuspid and possibly bone along with it.
S/He didn't extract bone with the tooth unless it was fused. It is possible that you had a defect in the bone that was undiagnosed. But unless the OS mentioned something after the extraction regarding bone coming out then I doubt any appreciable amount was removed.
Has anyone on this board had this done? Is this 'normal'?

In all honesy, I'm considering getting an implant for the gap instead of doing all this movement b/c it's been 1yr and 5 months and that molar that is supposed to move foward to cover the gap, hasn't even budged!
If teeth were extracted then you obviously had a space deficiency that needed to be corrected. If you go the implant route then you will likely be negating a big portion of your ortho work to date. A bone graft is not that big of a deal in regards to risk and success. But it does require a time and financial commitment on your end. I hope it works out for you.

Best,
Rory