1st adjustment today! lig opinions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

crysredd

1st adjustment today! lig opinions?

#1 Post by crysredd »

Well... its been a little over a month since i have been braced and let me tell you I can't be more excited to get my ligs changed! I was very good in the beginning but then started back up with my coffee in the morning, some other staining food and managed to YELLOW up my clear ligs beyond belief. I am going to brush and floss well before I go to the ortho of course but do you guys think it would be too much to ask if I can brush and floss when they take the archwire out? I don't want to hold things up - maybe they won't be busy and won't mind if I take 2 mins to take care of that. So... I've heard from you guys that pearl color doesn't stain much? Or should I try white? I don't think I am ready for a full-fledged color yet...although I can pass for yellow right now with the staining that I have done.

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

I don't see why brushing after the archwire is out would be an issue. Everytime my ortho does anything, even changing out just the front 6 ligs, they make me brush. It feels so good to floss without the archwire! and the lig color, I think I will be switching my uppers back to smoke. I had clear (they turned yellowy-orange), smoke (barely noticeable and no discoloration even with curry), silver (no discoloration but more noticeable), and the tester glow in the dark (it's turning some dingy color, can't really tell what color.)
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

I've had silver most recently. They are very discreet. I've found them difficult to stain and I've tried really hard.

crysredd

#4 Post by crysredd »

Well, I had my "adjustment". He didn't change the archwire b/c he said that my teeth hadn't moved enough yet. He also said to come back in 2 months... I hope my treatment doesn't get prolonged. Funny b/c I was told that these type of braces move faster and treat faster... now I am told that there wasn't much movement? how frustrating.

Anyway, since he didnt take the wire out I didnt get the chance to floss sans archwire but i did do a good floss and brush before i went anyway.

I spoke with the assistant about the colored ligs... her honest opinion was that the smoke color look a little dingy so she showed me pearl and another one she called "tooth color". She and the ortho said that the tooth color don't stain as easily so I chose them. They are kinda like pearl but have a bone-color tinge to it - I would consider them a little more opaque than pearl.

Ok, so here I am -fresh ligs and waiting 2 more months till me next adjustment :(. I'm gonna have to figure a way to get my teeth movin!

LaaLaa

#5 Post by LaaLaa »

I just had my first adjustment today also and after having the archwires taken out, my ortho told me that I could go brush and floss. I was up doing my thing for at least 5 minutes :-} and they didn't tell me to hurry up or anything, just some comments about how easy everything is without the wires in and how a lot of her patients are excited to brush wire-free. :D