First 'adjustment'

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AngelOfLife

First 'adjustment'

#1 Post by AngelOfLife »

Hi all,

I have my first adjustment this Friday, I have no idea what to expect. Friends have told me it will be the same sort of pain/tenderness as when the braces were originally put on?

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

That depends on what your ortho has planned for you. It could be very minor work or something more than that. And it doesn't necessarily involve pain.

Don't worry about it.

ABraces2007

#3 Post by ABraces2007 »

Well, the only moment of pain on my adjustments was when they put in a new wire, as you know, they put much pressure to fit the wire in, so, my teeth were so loose still that i thought they were going to knock my teeth off. But i had no pain after adjustments, or almost no pain, just some tighteness... so, don`t worry and if they are going to fit a new wire, ask your assistent to hold the teeth pushing gently from the other side, like making resistence against the wire, in this way you feel no pain while fitting it in.

AngelOfLife

#4 Post by AngelOfLife »

Thanks for the advice everyone :D

I'll post some pics after the appt. :)

LaaLaa

#5 Post by LaaLaa »

Hi Angel, hope your first adjustment goes well on Friday. I'm actually going in for my very first adjustment tomorrow afternoon! :wink: To be quite honest, I'm excited for tomorrow, as weird as it may sound. At my last comfort/re-gluing of bracket appointment, the assistant informed me that I will be getting powerchains and thicker wires put in so, hopefully that won't be too bad!! :lol:

AngelOfLife

#6 Post by AngelOfLife »

Thanks, hope it goes well for you too :) (and a painless as possible)

kypsis

#7 Post by kypsis »

Angel, I have my first adjustment this Friday as well. Will be interesting to hear what they do to you - ligs change, or wires too, etc, so keep us posted, and of course, fingers crossed for no pain :)

ariel86

#8 Post by ariel86 »

i went monday for my first adjustment and it was nothing big. they changed the ligs and i have a rotated back tooth so they put a small piece of powerchain on 2 teeth to help it align (and its the only 2 teeth that hurt from that adjustment) so it was not a big deal.

chillin-in-grilz

#9 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

When I went for my 1st adjustment it was painful. Even tho it was 3 months after they were put on. After it was just like as if I got my braces on all over again. The eating, and stuff, and pressure, and mild discomfort.
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

AngelOfLife

#10 Post by AngelOfLife »

Angel, I have my first adjustment this Friday as well. Will be interesting to hear what they do to you - ligs change, or wires too, etc, so keep us posted, and of course, fingers crossed for no pain :)
Hope it goes well for you, and as painless as possible. :)

Thanks all for the comments. I am very pleased I found this forum.

braves123

#11 Post by braves123 »

my adjustments are every 16 weeks.Maybe because i am wearing the speed system brackets and they dont require frequent adjustments.

braves123

#12 Post by braves123 »

I like not having to go more often than every 16 weeks.

kirjax

#13 Post by kirjax »

wow 16 weeks!

See I'd rather go 6-8 weeks (which is what they told me I'd be coming in for) bc for me I feel like work is being done faster!

But my first adjustment this time is only 4 weeks. I actually don't know what they'll do. I was told bottom braces but who really knows at this point. I have had no discomfort at all and sometimes as strange as it sounds I want some....for me if I feel a bit of discomfort I feel like my teeth are actually moving!

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

SnowSara

#14 Post by SnowSara »

I've only had 2 adjustments over 4 months, but each has been 8 weeks apart and the first one hurt pretty intensely the first evening, but then was gone by the next afternoon. My 2nd adjustment didn't hurt at all! I can't believe how fast my teeth are moving, too. I was told 18 mo, but it looks like I won't be in for much over a year if that.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

AngelOfLife

#15 Post by AngelOfLife »

I've only had 2 adjustments over 4 months, but each has been 8 weeks apart and the first one hurt pretty intensely the first evening, but then was gone by the next afternoon. My 2nd adjustment didn't hurt at all! I can't believe how fast my teeth are moving, too. I was told 18 mo, but it looks like I won't be in for much over a year if that.
Thats really promising, since I've been given an estimate of 18 months (maximum).