Braces for my girfriend

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bmoe

Braces for my girfriend

#1 Post by Bmoe »

Hi eveyone,

I was just wondering if anybody could give me some advice on how to encourage my girlfriend to get braces. I told her to get the clear braces but still thinks that she will still look like she is in her teens.

Thanks for your advice,
Bmoe

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Sorry if I sound rude, but isn't it her choice and not yours? Maybe she doesn't want them.

SDFD TSchott

#3 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Well first off why do you want her to get braces? Is it something that was recommended by a professional? Not to be rude, but its her opinion if she wants to get braces then she should get braces... Yes braces may make you look younger but she will get over it in a matter of days/weeks/months I got used to the fact that I don't look like I'm 21 but now that its been over 8 months I'm used to it.... People still don't belive I'm 21 but it doesn't stop me from "Not" getting carded at the bars :D

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

SDFD TSchott

#4 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Thats what I just posted :) I personally think it should be her choice not the boyfriends choice if she gets braces or not....

~Tim~
Lisa65 wrote:Sorry if I sound rude, but isn't it her choice and not yours? Maybe she doesn't want them.

atxjen

#5 Post by atxjen »

I have to say, I agree with the other posts this should be something that your girlfriend decides to do for herself not because you want her to do it.

Pixel Witch

#6 Post by Pixel Witch »

Eep. It sounded to me like it was something his girlfriend already thought of doing and declined because she thinks it will make her look like a kid again - NOT that this guy was trying to make her get braces.

Well, I hope so anyway!

To Bmoe - if she has issues that NEED correction (anything that isn't purely cosmetic) and she's hesitating due to how she think she'll look, maybe direct here here to gather information and meet some members who are in treatment.

There are plenty of alternatives if she is that concerned about her looks, and maybe reading about others who have braces as an adult can ease her mind.

Bmoe

Braces for my girfriend

#7 Post by Bmoe »

Sorry for the confusion, I made it sound like I wanted her to get them, trust me I would not make her do anything she does not want to. She had mentioned it to her dentist and he said that she could use a little straightening but is totally up to her. I guess this is my is question, what should I tell her for encouragement.

Jillianleab

#8 Post by Jillianleab »

Give her a link to this site and let her figure it out for herself. You can assure her that it will be over sooner than she thinks, and it's really no big deal; but if she's like most women, if you bring it up over and over again she'll just get mad at you! :)

You didn't mention how old she is, but I'm 26 and when solicitors come to the door (of the house I OWN) they ask me if my parents are home. They did this before the braces too, so I don't think people take much notice.
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

kirjax

#9 Post by kirjax »

I think alot of people esp. women have this insecurity about looking young w/ braces (I know I did) but truthfully, I look no more older or no more younger with them on then I did without them.

Encourage her by supporting her. Tell her that she's already a beautiful girl and that she'll still be just as beautiful with them. Tell her to think about how healthy it will be for her in the end and that perhaps she'll have more confidence in herself. I wouldn't really put to much pressure on her. Just be supportive. When she talks about it tell her you will be there for her and that you'll even make her smoothies and milkshakes :D

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

SDFD TSchott

#10 Post by SDFD TSchott »

:oops: Now I feel guilty, sorry for the confusion, yeah as Meryaten and others said here, give her this site have her sit and read some of the stories posted here and I'm sure she will come to a decision.... Thats what I did and I talked to alot of people about getting braces so thats how I came to the conclusion braces needed.

~Tim~

Delag

#11 Post by Delag »

I would just add that you might want to sit down and really talk to her if you haven't already. I hinted around to my DH about wanting braces for years, but I was worried, not only about how I would look about $$$. I didn't want to be the one responsible for adding a financial burden (:lol: now I am having jaw surgery and have had 10 grand in dental work - no burden there). If this is something she really wants, a few gentle nudges may be in order. Maybe you could help find some good orthos and offer to go to some consultations with her. I agree with the others, she has to really want it for herrself because braces can be a pain in the rear end to deal with at times and you don't want her to resent you for something like this.

Bmoe

Braces for my girfriend

#12 Post by Bmoe »

Thank for all of info and support!! I will make it a point to mention this website to her :wink:
Keep me posted on any other advice I could give her.

Thanks again

Thathrill

#13 Post by Thathrill »

I have been told I need braces since I was 16. I was worried about the jaw surgery that would join it. Everything was set up until the ortho retired and this allowed for my escape. I enjoyed in the comfort of not thinking about it will make it go away. Well 14 years later my dentist still recommended ortho treatment as my bite will start to ruin my teeth. While I like the teeth I have and do not want to ruin them, I finally decided it was finally time to do something about it. I have only been braced for a month now and I have no regrets. Sure braces suck at times but people hardly ever notice them. If anything I get compliments and questions. People are always telling me that they need to get braces and should do it.

I think you should have your girlfriend read this thread. We've all gone through this in similar (and different) ways. The results outweigh the benefits and feeling confident about your smile will work wonders personally
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

Lisa65

#14 Post by Lisa65 »

oops I'm sorry I misunderstood your original post Bmoe :oops: no offence intended!

jenfire

#15 Post by jenfire »

They are her teeth and therefore her decision. I would encourage you to be supportive of her whether she gets the braces or not. There are many factors that affect her decision and sometimes it just isn't the right time. Underlying her talk of "looking young," maybe she is worried about covering the cost (orthodontics can be fairly expensive) or concerned about the possibility of pain (I have felt pain from my expander, and at times it was extremely painful straightening my lower teeth) or fear of the unknown (in which case, ArchWired.com may help).

I'd just let her decide at her own pace what is best for her. Maybe she will decide to do some ortho consults and it will demystify the process and she'll take the leap. :)
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months