Crowding, non-extraction treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sid82

Crowding, non-extraction treatment

#1 Post by sid82 »

Is there anyone out there who has crowded upper/bottom centrals and a non-extraction treatment plan? If yes, how long did it take for your arches to align?

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I had moderate overcrowding in my upper arch and no extractions. As to alignment.....somewhere between 6 and 12 months.

jenfire

#3 Post by jenfire »

I had crowding on the top and a lot of crowding on the bottom. The top was aligned within four months and the bottom took seven months (the lower lateral that sat behind the rest was not attached to the archwire until the fourth month). I had no extractions; I did have an expander on the top that was in for over 12 months.

Cheers!
~jen
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

adrienne

#4 Post by adrienne »

My teeth were crowded but luckily I didn't need extractions! But then I would have (not braced yet) needed to wear an expander to make space for the teeth to move in. Then after that I would get braced :D

I think all our ortho's are different and they might treat your case differently so its best to go ask other ortho's for their opinions ..
;ADRIENNE
RPE for one month: 45 turns
quad-helix, lingual arch
ceramic braces for 18 months

braces off!

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

I had top crowding and my teeth were aligned within 3 months without extractions. I still have a big overjet though and that's going to take at least another year to reduce.

Every case is different though.

Jillianleab

#6 Post by Jillianleab »

It is possible for crowding to be solved without extractions, but as it has been said, it depends on your ortho's plan. Only your ortho knows why you need or don't need extractions.

I had pretty severe crowding and didn't have to have extractions, I had alignment probably in about 4 months or so, maybe 6. You can check out my story via the link in my sig if you want to see the progress pics. I have to say though, don't count on your treatment going the same; my ortho tells me everytime I go in he's simply shocked at how much progress I've made in such a short period of time. Yet again, we are all different!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

red indian

#7 Post by red indian »

Well. I have crowding on my upper arch, and the first treatment plan discussed with me involved wisdom tooth extraction,as well as bi- cuspids. Later however since I asked if it was possible for the crowding to be fixed without the bi- cuspid extraction, Iwas told it could work- with damons only. Apparently there is tha possibility of creating space in my mouth by the back teeth oving towards the sides. You could discuss this with your ortho, my guess is it will depend on many factors

kirjax

#8 Post by kirjax »

I have a very small mouth. But I had an expander as a child but didn't opt for braces then. So he said an expander for me wouldn't do much now anyways. I have moderate crowding on the bottom and just one lateral tooth that sits behind the rest but should move in easily once wired to the bracket.

The ortho insured me that the IPR would work and doesn't like to go the extraction route with adult patients bc it can potentially change the structure of your jaw leading to more problems. I look at my teeth and think, how the heck are they going to align those teeth up into my tiny mouth but somehow they say they can and I'll leave it to them to fix the problem.

my question for them when I go next week will be what teeth they will do the IPR on bc a friend told me to try to avoid having it done to the four front teeth and try doing it to the eye teeth instead. She hated having IPR and actually said she'd rather have just had her teeth removed.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

goldmetal

#9 Post by goldmetal »

I had substantial crowding on both top and bottom arches. I am coming up on six months in treatment. I still have some crowding issues on top and bottom. Again, I had severe crowding. My ortho loves to remind me of this at each visit! :wink: I also have a slight overjet that will be corrected with elastics. I am expecting no extractions. However if treatment does not progress as the ortho would like, I could have extractions in my future.

Laurie

#10 Post by Laurie »

If my ortho is unable to fix my crowding with braces alone then I'll be trying out the IPR route.