Now im disgusted!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braves123

Now im disgusted!

#1 Post by braves123 »

Went to ortho with poking wire that was causing huge canker sore.Assistant put a little ball of cement on the end of wire yesterday and it fell off today.I told her it probably wont stay because they did the same thing about a month ago with top wire and it fell off also.Now i am back to using wax.It just falls off and is a waste.Im not going to go back because i know they wont be able to do anything else with it.No my canker sore will never heal and i know my mouth wont toughten up so im not going to use the salt water rinses either.Anybody know if they can do anything better to stop the wire from poking? It is too short to clip.

mindykatz

#2 Post by mindykatz »

maybe you can bend it with a pencil eraser? But I'm not sure - you dont want to accidentally break it

Delag

#3 Post by Delag »

Call your dentist. I have on occasion had my dentist put on some magical stuff. I don't know what it is - it hurts enough to bring tears to the eyes for a few seconds and then there is no more pain...none. It burns or seals those suckers in a matter of seconds.

Carolinahigh12

#4 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

have you tried otc oral medication to shrink the canker sore?
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

alliphd

#5 Post by alliphd »

Did they try bending the wire at all? My ortho left all of mine long, but he bent them so they didn't poke me. I've been fairly successful at keeping wax on if I put a big ball on it and kind of attach it to the bracket as well. It's also important to make sure the area is mostly dry before you try to stick it on. Some kind of topical anesthetic gel (for canker sores/ulcers) will help with the pain. There are also several mouthwashes that help (I've seen several at Walgreens, so check your local drugstore). I know it may seem like it might not heal, but the saltwater rinses really do help soothe the pain - what could it hurt? Also, make sure you're staying very hydrated. If none of these help, I'd try to see your dentist about it. Good luck, and I hope it gets better!

(Click WWW link for the details!)

alexa

#6 Post by alexa »

My ortho just clipped the ends when I complained.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

braves123

#7 Post by braves123 »

they told me nothing more could be done.It was too short to clip.And for the wax,its like they were giving away gold.they only give you 2 little packs of it and im not going back until the end of july.the wax wont last that long.They dont want to do anything.the dentist didnt see me,the assistant did.The ortho popped his head in and said hi and sorry that i had to come back,then he said have a nice day.What a joke for the money im paying.

Huon

#8 Post by Huon »

Try Orabase to heal your cheek. It works well.
When my archwire was too short to clip but still dug into me, my ortho was able to bend the end inwards towards the molar. That helped.
Huon

braves123

#9 Post by braves123 »

I am going to try and bend the wire alittle.I hope after awhile my mouth will be able to stan this.I am ready to say forget the braces.I dont want them anymore.Thank you everyone for all your advice.

newmetal

#10 Post by newmetal »

braves123 wrote:I am going to try and bend the wire alittle.I hope after awhile my mouth will be able to stan this.I am ready to say forget the braces.I dont want them anymore.Thank you everyone for all your advice.
I would'nt try bending the wire because you may end up bending the whole archwire and affecting the way it shapes your arch. I know its not practical, but if i were in your situation, as a last resort, id chew a bit of chewing gum and stick it at the back. Its a bit rank but if its paining you that much it would help it.Just cover the whole back of the tooth with some gum and if it falls off just press it back on with your tounge. Although, if the wire is out enough to be causing sores it should be out enough to be clipped.

Newmetal

braves123

#11 Post by braves123 »

No the wire isnt long enough to be clipped.It only takes the edge of the wire to cause pain.For all the money im paying,you think they would do more than to put a little ball of cement at the end.How stupid are they?

newmetal

#12 Post by newmetal »

But in that case it might honestly not be possible to do anything to stop the pain. I have only heard of the clipping method and wax method. It my be due to the shape/size of your mouth that you're are experience such pain from the edge of that wire, in that case, they may need you to adjust to this as you will find as your treatment goes on the wires will poke out even further. Im sure it will not pain as much when the sore has gone away.

braves123

#13 Post by braves123 »

I was also wondering how long it hurts to chew.I got bottoms on 8 days ago and some tweeth are still to sore to chew with?

Thathrill

#14 Post by Thathrill »

i very recently had a very short wire poking me and had it clipped on monday morning. later that day i felt poking and even sharper. I noticed that when the archwire was clipped it left a sharper edge now. So I made another appt and had to wait till wednesday to get seen. When I came in, the tech who helped me on monday was there and looked at it and was ready to file it until finally she decided to just remove the ligs off 2 adjacent teeth pull out the arch wire on the side, clipped it shorter then replaced everything. Now the end of the archwire is hidden in the buccal tube.

If I were in your shoes and was treated in this manner, I would make an appt with the ortho directly to talk to him and show him how unsatisfied you are. You should not have to accept that treatment as you are paying for the services and orthodontics isn't cheap. I firmly believe something can always be done. Especially since I had so little of a wire poking out.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

Pixel Witch

#15 Post by Pixel Witch »

I would'nt try bending the wire because you may end up bending the whole archwire and affecting the way it shapes your arch.
In my instruction sheet, it specifically says to bend the wire if I have this problem and gives instructions on how to do.