Now im disgusted!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braves123

pixel witch

#16 Post by braves123 »

pixel witch how do you bend the wire? can you explain,maybe i can try.Its not going to affect the whole archwire.
thanks

newmetal

#17 Post by newmetal »

Oh i was told by my ortho not to bend a wire poking out as you can risk damaging the whole archwire as a result. I think im going to play it safe and stick by the ortho orders.

Pixel Witch

#18 Post by Pixel Witch »

It says:

Poking Wire: Try to put sticking wire down or bend the tip back with a spoon or eraser. If that is not possible, place wax on it.
It also continues on about calling in to get the wire bent or clipped ASAP.

newmetal

#19 Post by newmetal »

Pixel Witch wrote:It says:

Poking Wire: Try to put sticking wire down or bend the tip back with a spoon or eraser. If that is not possible, place wax on it.
It also continues on about calling in to get the wire bent or clipped ASAP.
Yea but it does emphasise the "tip" of the wire, this is very difficult to do and you could risk bending it in such a fashion to dislodge the archwire of damage it if you bend anywhere but the "tip".

Granola

#20 Post by Granola »

I've had pokey wires that cause a big spot at various times throughout my treatment, and they hurt! I always find it better when the wire is left long enough to be bent under. Anytime it is cut short, even when they polish it, it always bothers me. However, I am usually too busy to go into the office and just use wax.

If you don't want to go back or call again, use wax. I have occasionally gotten silicone wax from my ortho, but I also buy wax at the drug store and always keep some around. It should be readily available in your area.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Dreamer

#21 Post by Dreamer »

Lately I have been getting the new orthodontic assistant and she cannot clip the wires nearly as short as the other girls. It drives me crazy! Last month I was so bothered by the sharp edge I filed it down with a metal nail file..it worked wonders pretty easily to take the sharpness off!

I would definetely suggest anyone ask the ortho to try and clip a bothering wire shorter if the assistant cannot do it. They should always be able to be cut short enough to not be a bother.
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

Granola

#22 Post by Granola »

But I still think there's some peoblems with the way this ortho's staff are behaving.
I definitely agree with Meryaten about that.

I've been having the same experience as Dreamer, that one tech in particular at the office does not seem to be able to make the wires comfortable (consistently), nor is she good at other parts of her job. My response to this is to go in to my appointments early and request other techs by name, and this has helped me a lot. My ortho is aware of it, but has kept her on, so she must be an asset to them in some way that I cannot comprehend!

Good luck with this--it will get better, I hope.

Dreamer

#23 Post by Dreamer »

Oh Granola, it's so frustrating isn't it! This new girl tried to clip my wires about six times and finally I just said 'it's fine" because I knew she couldn't do it! I came home frustrated and next time I just won't do that.
When you schedule your next appt can't you ask for a specific assistant? I know I can but I always feel guilty when I do that. From now on I am going to though! This asst put single ties on this time and I always have chains and I have gaps for the first time in months and months. I just don't think she's nearly as good as the other assistants so from now on I will do what's best for me and request someone else.

Granola

#24 Post by Granola »

Hi Dreamer--It is very frustrating, I agree.

I can't ask for a specific tech when I schedule (I've asked) but was told I can request certain techs when I arrive. They have always accommodated me when I've asked without a problem. The tech I avoid is a very nice young woman, but she sucks as a tech and doesn't even listen carefully to the orthos when they tell her what is needed. She just doesn't seem to get it right, so in my own best interests I really avoid having her work on me. Don't feel guilty though -- if mistakes are being made, you have to look out for yourself!

Dreamer

#25 Post by Dreamer »

Yes I know you are right. I guess I just hate hurting people's feelings. I do want the best care I can get though so from now on I'm going to take your advice. It's too late for my appt in 2 weeks because it's already scheduled but next time when I leave and reschedule I will request the ones I want!

Granola

#26 Post by Granola »

I've never said anything negative about the tech directly to the office, but rather, just asked for the techs I've wanted. I think that way you can get what you need without making it awkward as you walk by the person who you are avoiding.

chillin-in-grilz

#27 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

The orthos assistant clips them no matter how short it is., the only complaint I have is waiting for ever just to get a measly wire clipped.

even worse have to wait a few days
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

Chiwawamom

#28 Post by Chiwawamom »

My ortho has this electric file thing....sounded like he was drilling a tooth, but in fact he just filed it down because my pokey wire was too short to cut too.