Braces on upper teeth only

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

asta

Braces on upper teeth only

#1 Post by asta »

A technical question (which may be absurd I don't know).

If a person has braces only on his/her upper teeth, does it usually mean that he/she is at the begining or the end of his/her treatement?

And what about if he/she has braces only on the lower teeth?

A.

platinum

#2 Post by platinum »

I have lowers only, the uppers come along after 6 months of the treatment. In my case I would knock the lower brackets off, if I would not have an upper retainer (this is what I was told). But I suspect that my lowers just need more work, because my uppers look quite ok.

Genie

#3 Post by Genie »

I just started my treatment and I only get my upper arch braced. I guess its because I will knock the lower brackets off if I have them now.My ortho checked my bite and then declared that I will only get the uppers first. :)

bracesafter40

Re: Braces on upper teeth only

#4 Post by bracesafter40 »

A technical question (which may be absurd I don't know).

If a person has braces only on his/her upper teeth, does it usually mean that he/she is at the begining or the end of his/her treatement?

And what about if he/she has braces only on the lower teeth?

A.
I got uppers for the first five weeks as well as my Ortho was saying that I'd bite them off; so five weeks later when I got my bottoms, I still bit them off :-(.

So I'm curious as well, why do you ask?
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

AngelOfLife

#5 Post by AngelOfLife »

Not necessarily. Have a friend who had upper braces only for 1 year, then had the full set for the next year.

WiredforSound

#6 Post by WiredforSound »

Me too. I got only the upper arch braced due to my overbite. By the looks of things it will be a few more months before I get the bottoms.

Having only one arch braced first has been okay for me, as it was nice to get used to the one arch being braced.

Your Ortho will decide what is best for you.
[/url]

jorx

#7 Post by jorx »

I was supposed to have uppers only for a while, and then lowers. But the B-day my ortho decided to go on with both arches. I hit my lowers and cannot completely close my mouth so I wish I'd have only the uppers!

JoviFan

#8 Post by JoviFan »

WiredforSound wrote:Me too. I got only the upper arch braced due to my overbite. By the looks of things it will be a few more months before I get the bottoms.

Having only one arch braced first has been okay for me, as it was nice to get used to the one arch being braced.

Your Ortho will decide what is best for you.
I agree !!!! I think it's been 'easier' getting use to just having 1 arch done.....I'm at 4 months 1 week now and still just have uppers (not sure if the will change at my appt today or not :0 ) my lowers are 'almost perfect' w/o braces, and my uppers have straightened out nicely already...it's my bite that is the issue now.....
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07