Does/Did anyone have a Nance appliance ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wwdia

Does/Did anyone have a Nance appliance ?

#1 Post by wwdia »

My ortho told me he was putting one in my mouth and I am dying to know if anyone else out there has one and what it's like etc...
Thanks
Diane
Newbie to the forum

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi Diane
I have a Nance and a few other people here have one too. If you look at my blog here viewtopic.php?t=12724&postdays=0&postor ... &start=360 you can see a pic of mine. It is being used to hold my first molars in position temporarily while my second molars are being pushed backwards.

I haven't really had any trouble with it and I think it's about the least fearsome of the palatal appliances. The only minor problem I've found is that very occasionally some food will get trapped underneath (usually a pice of tomato skin or something similar), but skilful use of threader floss or a squirt with a syringe full of water does the trick. It's only happened once or twice.

When are you getting yours?

Lisa

wwdia

#3 Post by wwdia »

Well I go Monday to get banded and maybe fitted for it?
He said so much stuff so quickly that I am not sure if it is something to get fitted for or made on the spot or if I am supposed to have my tooth removed first. I'm confused! can you tell???
I'm going to read your blog, Thanks

cally

#4 Post by cally »

I have a Nance bite plate. It's utterly horrible, I won't lie to you. Makes eating and speech so very difficult. I will also say that I/you will get "used to it" and learn to manage and adapt as time goes on and it's only temporary.

Good luck,

Cally

cowlypso

#5 Post by cowlypso »

I don't mind mine at all. I've got extractions and it's holding the molars back so they don't move into the extraction gaps.

It doesn't cause any pain or trouble now. For the first week or so, I felt like I was talking pretty oddly. People didn't really notice too much, except they said that it sounded like I was pronouncing things more deliberately. After that, I would only have trouble with certain sounds when I was tired. After a month or two, I no longer had any trouble speaking at all.

Mine fits very close to my palate, and I never get anything caught under it. I can't fit any sort of brush under there. About twice a week I take the threader floss and string it under the metal part, then pull it up and over the plastic part, just to keep things clean.

Mine is soldered onto my molar bands, and the ortho sent it out to a lab to be made. What they did is they found the bands that fit my teeth and put them on, then they took a mold and sent that to the lab along with the bands. A week later, I went in to get the nance in, which was attached to the molar bands.

wwdia

#6 Post by wwdia »

Thanks for all the info & thanks for the picture

Diane