oh my oh my - fully braced...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

anneke

oh my oh my - fully braced...

#1 Post by anneke »

Hey,

I just got back from the ortho - I am fully braced in one go: metal uppers and metal bottoms. I had kinda hoped that the brackets wouldn't be too big, guess that depends on the ortho, but mine are so dissapointingly bulky. It seems that my whole teeth are covered in metal and there is no way that I can hide them. My lips won't close at all... I feel like crying and ripping them off - I had such a shock when I saw myself in the mirror.
Has anyone have had the same experience? It is not that I even have protruding teeth. They are just overcrowded. Will I ever get used to it? It seemed that on the bus home everyone was looking at my metalmouth. I feel sooooooooo ugly. Any advice?

moonflower22

#2 Post by moonflower22 »

:) Congrats on your new braces. yes, i have had the same experience. it feels like everone is staring at your teeth, you'd get over it in a matter of days.you just have to wear it in ~style~ and work your confidence, it don't matter where they're looking at. Just think of the end result when it's finally removed.

Just have fun and don't be self concious. :D cheers for that perfect smile soon to come.

anneke

#3 Post by anneke »

Well, I guess I am overreacting, I just hadn't thought it was going to look quite so ... shiny. It does help to know that I am not the only one going through it.

LuvBug26

#4 Post by LuvBug26 »

anneke congrats on your great decision to get braced!! :jump: i'm a month into mine and at first i only had bottoms (for a week) and i was fine with them...they are metal and farely (SP) small brackets...then i got my top ones and they are clear ceremic and they are bigger than the bottoms....i could hardley close my mouth after i got them on. I was like you.. so dissapointed with my looks and the feeling that everyone was staring at my mouth! :? I felt like Mr. Ed, with the horse mouth.....like my teeth were the only thing showing on my whole face!! But now, i'm so used to them and infact i love them!! I like showing my colors ligs off and changing them up at my visits is great! Makes me look forward to my adjustments!! i started with baby pink all over and now i have electric pink on top and bright blue on the bottom and I LOVE IT!!! Everyone has said they are pretty and i think that they are awesome! :banana:
Trust me, things will get better!! Give it some time and you'll get used to them! Pretty soon you'll be smiling ear to ear and showing those pearly whites off!! :HugeGrin: Just think to the future about what a beautiful smile you will have when it's all said and done!!! I know i was very down about my braces and wanted to cry and take them off like you, but after i realized that it's fine and they look great i got over it and accepted them and now i'm way into my smile!! And, another thing to do that helps is to take pictures of your teeth and your smile and document them. You'll be amazed at how much your teeth move and shift and you don't realize it!! I know i have noticed a definate change in my smile and my alignment!! It's a way to get you into the braces and keep your smile up!! Things wil get better...promise!!! Just think on the positive side, you'll be fine and i'm sure you look great!!! Try posting some pictures on here, there's a blog just for ligature colors, where everyone posts pic's of there teeth and lig colors. It's a cool blog to join, makes it fun to see yourself and other peoples smiles too!!
Keep smiling, it's going to be fine!!! :dance:
Also...keep up with this site!! This is a great place to get support and advice and get great answers to your questions!! Everyone here is awesome!! :thumbsup:

"To error is human, to forgive is divine."

loulou123

#5 Post by loulou123 »

Hi anneke

1st thing it really will get better i promise, ive had mine on nearly a year now and hardly notice them most of the time now.

I to had everything on at once, but hey at least this way its all over in one go, thats the way i looked at it. But yes it is abit shocking when you see them on yourself for the 1st time.

As for people looking, prop as someone said they could see you looked worried or upset and were wondering what was wrong, or otherwise you mite have been imagining it abit-like when youve got a spot on face, that feels like its flashing like a beacon!

It will get better, congratulations for taking the 1st step

Take care

Louise

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

Miss Smiley

#6 Post by Miss Smiley »

I can relate to the way you feel. I freaked out over clear ceramics on my teeth, I can't fathom how crazy I would have been with metals. It will get better, just have to realize that you're doing this to better your oral health. Then you can accept it and start to have fun with it! Take some pictures tonight and compare the crooked wire to how they look in one week. You'll be surprised.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

kirjax

#7 Post by kirjax »

it does get better. For me it was the first two days that I was mortified. I kept thinking what have I done to myself!

But it seriously gets easier bc half the people I talk to don't know I have braces until 1/2 way through a conversation when they stop me and ask.

The only thing I have been told is I am trying to hard to cover them w/ my lip when I talk and my friends said to relax and talk normally. that's really hard already since I've gotten used to talking with my lip over them. But they told me I looked funky so I talked while looking in the mirror last night and it did! So now I am going to make sure I try to talk like I did before they were on and not care that people can see them. The only time I'm really self concious is after a meal esp. when I'm out. I try my best to get it all out but sometimes you feel like there's something there that everyone will see!

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

AngelOfLife

#8 Post by AngelOfLife »

Well, I guess I am overreacting, I just hadn't thought it was going to look quite so ... shiny. It does help to know that I am not the only one going through it.
I felt exactly the same. Yes, I'd agree it really does help to know that you aren't the only one going through it.

Trust me, give it a few days you'll get used to them very quickly.

acehigh

#9 Post by acehigh »

I feel for you tonight. I know you're going to find this hard to believe, but you actually do get used to it! I had my braces put on almost 6 months ago, and within the first hour I went right back to the ortho's office and wanted them taken out. I was so close to crying it wasn't even funny. (44 year old female here). :shock: I thought I'd give it a try, knowing that I can have them removed anytime I wanted. It's 6 months later and I'm glad they're still in. Within a week or two you will actually notice your teeth starting to line up. This is where it actually gets kind of exciting! I have In-Ovation C braces, which are quite clear. I still had to get used to them, get used to talking to people, get used to people 'noticing'. I'll tell you one thing.....no one cares! It may be the topic of conversation for all of two minutes, then the subject changes. In fact, there have been quite a few people telling me that they only wish they could have it done. I feel this is my 5.000.00 privilege and I'm very lucky to be able to do it. It DOES get better!! Like I said.....I really do feel what you're going through. Hang in there!! :lol:

braves123

#10 Post by braves123 »

wouldnt know anything about big,bulky braces.I have the speed system braces and they are SOOO tiny. Good luck

Dreamer

#11 Post by Dreamer »

Hang in there Anneke! I too have the metal braces top and bottom and when I first got them they felt absolutely HUGE! You will soon be able to comfortably close your lips over them and hardly even know they are there! Also what color ligs you choose will help with if they stand out or not. If you want to tone things down ask them to put on the darkest grey ligs and then nothing feels nearly as bright.
Congratulations on getting braced! Someday very soon you will be so thrilled you finally have them!
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

anneke

#12 Post by anneke »

Thanks for all the words of support, the braces still look shocking today, but somehow I can't stop looking in the mirror. I notice that most of you have gone for ceramic uppers. Would it be really stupid to have the top metals removed and switch to ceramic uppers? I thought they were going to be too bulky, but now that I have got these huge metal ones in my mouth, I don't think it will make a lot of difference. Or is there a specific kind of metals ones that are small????
One (rather) good thing is that the pain seems to be ok so far, as long as I stick to soft foods. That's something at least...
will try to take some pics soon, but I feel too selfconsious about the whole thing for now

Vyse

#13 Post by Vyse »

is it not possible to ask the dentist to use small gauge wires?

Dreamer

#14 Post by Dreamer »

I'm sure you could switch to whatever clear brand your orthodontist uses but I'm guessing they will charge you more to redo it and usually the clear ones cost a bit more anyway. There are smaller metal ones depending on the type used but there may be a particular reason your orthodontist wants you in the larger metal ones. Some believe they work faster than the clear ones because they are stronger.
Another thought: try to learn to be proud of having your braces..wear them as your badge of courage for wanting to improve yourself. I really think in another week you will see that they do not feel that big! :)
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

chicklets

#15 Post by chicklets »

Hang in there, Anneke. It gets better very quickly. The initial shock of all that bulky metal will soon fade, and I promise you'll hardly notice them.

I'm 43 so I understand feeling self-conscious about it. I've only been fully braced, all metal, for 2 months, but within days I can tell you I actually started smiling more than before. I'm so glad I took the plunge at my age, and unless I'm thinking about it, I don't even notice the braces are there!
Palate expander: 10/10/2006 through 03/27/2007
Spacers and brackets: 03/27/2007
Archwire: 04/05/2007
First adjustment: 06/05/2007