wax questions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

artsyalice

wax questions

#1 Post by artsyalice »

okay, so I got braced yesterday and am finding wax to be my new best friend. The only issue is I'm not sure what to do when I brush. Do I take the wax off first and then brush, do I brush it off? I'm getting the routine down (haven't tried to floss yet), but this wax business has me a bit confused.

Also, how much wax should I be using. I've already gone in one day through half a stick...is that normal?
Thanks!!

mindykatz

#2 Post by mindykatz »

Defintely take the wax off before you brush. I learned that this morning - I brushed and ended up gagging on a hunk of wax that ended up on the WAYY back of my tounge!

These are the sort of things that we never thought about before we got braces on! I thought you just rubbed the wax on - I had no idea you were supposed to ball it up and stick it on there...I feel kinda dumb lol! :oops:

artsyalice

#3 Post by artsyalice »

thanks guys. what is the easiest way to remove the wax?

cally

#4 Post by cally »

Just pull it off with your finger/nail.

Laurie

#5 Post by Laurie »

I could never get all the wax off with my fingernails or what not so I had one toothbrush that I used dry to get the wax off.

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

I use one of those little inderdental brushes to get wax off, because it wraps round all my extra loops and whatnot.
Definitely take the wax off before you brush your teeth otherwise it clogs up the toothbrush :?

artsyalice

#7 Post by artsyalice »

perfect.....thanks guys!

Pixel Witch

#8 Post by Pixel Witch »

Defintely take the wax off before you brush. I learned that this morning - I brushed and ended up gagging on a hunk of wax that ended up on the WAYY back of my tounge!

These are the sort of things that we never thought about before we got braces on! I thought you just rubbed the wax on - I had no idea you were supposed to ball it up and stick it on there...I feel kinda dumb lol! :oops:
Don't feel dumb! We don't know til we have to do it!

I haven't needed wax yet (crosses fingers) but I was messing with it yesterday as practice :lol: and it took me like 20 tries to master applying wax to a hook or bracket.

:oops:

Miss Smiley

#9 Post by Miss Smiley »

Alice - I found that rinsing with some cold water before brushing and then picking out the wax with my nail made it easier. Since, the cold water made the wax somewhat firm and came off in one chunk than leaving little bits stuck.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix