is anyone else getting braced in june?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mindykatz

#61 Post by mindykatz »

My braces go on on June 7th in the a.m. (eastern standard time). Damons on top and bottom as far as I know - they never mentioned using anything but Damons! I got all 4 wisdoms extracted plus 2 other extractions 4 weeks ago, and spacers 1 week ago!

Good luck to everyone with June B-Days! :tingrin:

Pixel Witch

#62 Post by Pixel Witch »

Ready for tomorrow, June 7 people? :D GOOD LUCK!

And Meryaten - good luck to you tomorrow as well!

mindykatz

#63 Post by mindykatz »

totally ready! let's get this over with, lol!! :HugeGrin:

annabanana

#64 Post by annabanana »

I got my braces put back on yesterday. The second time around isn't so bad thus far... :)

Dimples

#65 Post by Dimples »

Have a great brace day pixel witch, seriously, and anyone else who is getting braced tommorrow!!!
Looks like i'm all by myself on friday. My clinic just called about an hour ago to remind me of my appointment. :D

artsyalice

#66 Post by artsyalice »

Well, mine are on! I still can't believe I went through with it! I got ceramic uppers and metal lowers. The braces aren't as bad as I thought they would be...it's this darn bite plate that has me a bit miserable. At least i can take it out though. I still haven't eaten since they were put on...but I'll need to soon. Definitely nervous about that...bite plates are not fun...consider yourself lucky if you don't have one!

So how are the rest of you doing?

Dimples

#67 Post by Dimples »

Hey alice!

I go in for mine tommorrow at 10 am. What is the bite plate for?

Hope you feel better.

Pixel Witch

#68 Post by Pixel Witch »

I finished about an hour ago, made a pit stop at the store for about 500 cans of soup and spaghetti-o's (hehe) and am now sitting here attempting to eat some ramen. I think I'm getting the hang of it :D

Not sore yet, but I will probably be later!

skintz

#69 Post by skintz »

I got mine put on today-metal on both upper and lower. I'm all achey but i'm hoping the aching won't last too long :(

artsyalice

#70 Post by artsyalice »

way to go Pixel Witch and skintz! hopefully the soreness stays at bay!

Dimples,
A bite plate is like a retainer that you wear when you have a bad overbite. Since my upper teeth completely cover my lower, I would knock off my bottom brackets if I bite down. I have to wear the bite plate so that doesn't happen, but eating becomes hard because you can't really bite down all the way to chew your food.

I just ate a bean and cheese burrito...it was okay. It took a long time and I ended up swallowing more than I chewed, but overall it was okay. I'm not in pain yet, but starting to "feel" my teeth.

Pixel Witch

#71 Post by Pixel Witch »

way to go Pixel Witch and skintz! hopefully the soreness stays at bay!

Dimples,
A bite plate is like a retainer that you wear when you have a bad overbite. Since my upper teeth completely cover my lower, I would knock off my bottom brackets if I bite down. I have to wear the bite plate so that doesn't happen, but eating becomes hard because you can't really bite down all the way to chew your food.

I just ate a bean and cheese burrito...it was okay. It took a long time and I ended up swallowing more than I chewed, but overall it was okay. I'm not in pain yet, but starting to "feel" my teeth.
My front teeth are the same way when I bite down, but I didn't get anything extra. I asked the ortho about it, but I guess because of the way my mouth naturally sits while relaxed I should be ok.

I had a bit of a problem trying to eat my noodles I ate for lunch because I was convinced I would chomp down on the lower brackets and knock them off (it took an HOUR, LOL!) but I adjusted quickly. I am SO glad I don't have cement or a bite plate, it sounds irritating.

Dimples

#72 Post by Dimples »

alice I hope you feel better. Here's to you adjusting quickly to your bite plate!!!

Skintz I hope you feel better too. Thats what i'm worried about, being achy. I have some 600 mg ibuprophren i got from the doctor. Hopefully I won't have to use it.

Way to go pixel witch!!!

So, does anybody have any details? How did it go??? How long did it take?

sashafeelgood

#73 Post by sashafeelgood »

By 5:00 PST it'll be 24 hours for me!! I went to the store and got ice cream and spaghetti oos but remembered what people say about chewing as soon as possible. I went to lunch today at a thai restaurant and ordered pad thai. The noodles were tricky and at one point, I found it quite funny that a noodle had stubbornly clung to one of my back brackets no matter how hard I tried to release it. I didn't eat a lot but I was proud of myself. Fast forward 2 hours later and I have completely DEVOURED (heheh very slowly devoured) my pad thai. It ached a bit but it was fun to chew on my back molars. I'm really proud of myself! I think you just have to push yourself to do it and it'll get easier.

platinum

#74 Post by platinum »

My front teeth are the same way when I bite down, but I didn't get anything extra. I asked the ortho about it, but I guess because of the way my mouth naturally sits while relaxed I should be ok.
I have a removable bite plate, which I wear only nights ( I should wear it all the time, but.....). I learned to not to bite down and when relaxed my teeth do not touch each other. I have bad lisp when I wear my bite plate. i did wear it reliously for one month but then I gave up.

artsyalice

#75 Post by artsyalice »

I had a bean and cheese burrito for lunch yesterday....it went pretty well, but took forever to eat. For dinner all I could handle was soup and yogurt. I had a protein shake for breakfast and will have another with some soup for lunch. I'll be more adventurous with dinner - in the privacy of my own home. :D

I'm too scared to take out the bite plate for too long as I'm not used to the braces yet. I'll wear it less over time I'm sure, but there is no way I could eat without it! I'm at work today though and hate the way it makes me sound when I talk. At least I can take it out if I need to.

I'm glad everyone else here seems to be doing well so far! The braces really aren't that bad. I'm not in too much pain...although brushing this morning was pretty painful. Let's all try and get some pics up this weekend!