Travel insurance to cover braces....HELP!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

loulou123

Travel insurance to cover braces....HELP!

#1 Post by loulou123 »

Hi

Ive just booked a last minute trip to eurodisney in june (very excited! :D ) but have just been on line for a travel insurance quote and am having trouble finding one as they all say they wont insure if you have a medical condition :? i really want my braces covered as im due for an adjustment 2 days before going and want the piece of mind that i can receive treatment if something happens.

Can anyone suggest any UK insurers who mite be able to help me with this.

Thanks

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

Chiwawamom

#2 Post by Chiwawamom »

I am a travel agent in the US and the product I use covers dental emergencies. There a NUMEROUS travel insurance companies out there you just have to shop around.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

It would probably be cheaper to come back to the UK from France if you had a REAL emergency and couldn't wait till the trip ended, although I rack my brains to think what a real emergency would entail.
A broken bracket can be covered with wax and a missing lig won't matter for a few days. Even if you broke the archwire, you could buy some wire cutters from a DIY place and snip the sharp piece off.

I'm not being facetious honestly, but I really can't think why you would need orthodontic insurance for a short trip within the EU.

loulou123

#4 Post by loulou123 »

Thanks everyone

Know it sounds like i am being paranoid and prop didnt explain myself properly, its not just the braces but the whole package...

dont know exactly what its called but on a basic level my jaw joint sometimes semidislocates due to a problem with the mandibler joint and its getting worse, a few times recently on yawning i have felt it click and not go imediately back into joint, ive told my ortho about this and her advise apart from to hold my chin whilst yawning! :shock: is basicailly that there is nothing i can do apart from get to the hospital asap if it completely dislocates. On the small print on my travel insurance it states it will not cover anything which you have had treatment for in the last 6 months, which i have.

I know it hasnt happened yet but on the app a couple days before disney im having elastics fitted, which will obviously put more strain on this area, combined with the fact its always worse after ortho app due to holding my mouth open, so this is why im abit concerned.

Louise

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

France is in the EU though Louise, so if your jaw joint did pop out then you would be able to get emergency treatment at an A&E. To be on the safe side, you could apply for an EHIC (replaces the old E111 health insurance form)

You can apply for one here.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Policyandguidan ... DH_4135688

loulou123

#6 Post by loulou123 »

Thanks Lisa

Ive just applied for the card you mentioned online. so fingers crossed its here on time.

Dr Jon Harrow

#7 Post by Dr Jon Harrow »

Hi Loulou
As mentioned, having braces would not be classed as a medical condition, just as it is not in the UK, unless there are other maxilofacial issues, and as for the jaw dislocation this will be covered in a hopital with no problem, i worked and lived in paris for two years, so i can vouch that the dentists there are cheaper pro rata than in the Uk. Just make sure you have the EHIC card.. then if there are issues, you need to firstly find a local doctor in the region you are staying, who will charge approx 10 euro for the consultation, and if cannot help, will refer you on to a hopital or infirmarie, where they will be able to help..French doctors are much better than UK ones ( did i tell you all some of my relations are french? plus i did part of my training in France).
By the way which part are you in?... I will be working at an emergency infirmarie in Taize/Amgeuny/Macon over the summer, and until 3rd wk of Sept. can't wait :lol: :lol:
Bye for now :)
Jon XXX