3rd Adjustment - 4th month

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JoviFan

3rd Adjustment - 4th month

#1 Post by JoviFan »

Well had my 3rd adj yesterday -- wen't well, I guess! LOL
met with 2nd ortho regarding 'my decision time'......she said basically the same thing as the other ortho in the practice I've been seeing...
here's that story: viewtopic.php?t=18818

anyway - I still haven't come up with any decisions yet... that jaw surgery just seems sooo extreme to me......they sort of really don't recommend the extractions, cuz of the flat lip appearance....so I'm sort of stuck!! My original reason for this journey was to straighten up my front upper teeth -- well, that's just about done! LOL - but in doing that, my overbite is a little worse (5mm)....and it took me this many years to get where I am, I don't just want to 'give up' and not look 100%, however, at this stage, I'm not sure I want to go thru the pain/recovery of jaw surgery, or the possibily of extractions and not being happy with the end result....so maybe I should just 'do my time' in braces and hope that I'm happy enough with the end result! It's already 100% better to me than it was b4 braces :)

I got new ligs yesterday and a '4 string' (I call it that) power chain across the front 4 teeth to close up a little gap I had....am feeling that this am.... will have to load up some pics later :)
Thanks for listening!!!!
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

platinum

#2 Post by platinum »

I have same kind of situation. I cant see my 6 mm overjet disappearing fully. The reason i took braces was my deepbite. I wont go the surgery route.

JoviFan

#3 Post by JoviFan »

platinum wrote:I have same kind of situation. I cant see my 6 mm overjet disappearing fully. The reason i took braces was my deepbite. I wont go the surgery route.
Well, initially I got the braces cuz my front teeth were crooked and it always bothered me.... now that they're almost straight, I have the bite issues, which hadn't really bothered me b4 braces! LOL -- but now that my upper arch is nice and where it should be, my overbite seems a little worse than it use to.....they say it's about 5mm.....I'm really not seriously considering the jaw surgery either....and am torn about the extraction route.....my othro really seems like that's not the best thing for anyone's profile...so I'm sort of stuck! ..
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

onedayperfect

#4 Post by onedayperfect »

glad its going well, had my 3rd last week! neeed to ask the ortha to take some more photos! i want to see what 4months progress looks like! 8)

JoviFan

#5 Post by JoviFan »

platinum wrote:I have same kind of situation. I cant see my 6 mm overjet disappearing fully. The reason i took braces was my deepbite. I wont go the surgery route.
Is the extraction route an option for you also?????? I just wish I could seem some before and after pics of adults that had this done!!!

JoviFan

#6 Post by JoviFan »

ok - had my first dental cleaning with braces yesterday -- not so bad!! Except for my molar (w/o bracket) had some tartar under the gum line, and she had to scrape pretty good -- actually a little sore there today! anyway -- I spoke with my dentists about the sx versus extractions....he said he'd avoid the jaw surgery (which is what I had decided anyway) and as far as extractions go, I could go either way.....he said if my teeth 'function' properly now it's not really necessary, on the other hand it would help my bite.......he offered to talk to my ortho and see if he could get a little better feel as to what might be best....the dentist doesn't seem to think that the extractions would make my profile look 'bad' but would prob change it some....oh, he said he'd prob have an oral surgeon do the extractions if that was the route I chose....I'm soooo undecided....I really don't want to extract perfectly good teeth and not be happy with my profile...but also don't want to spend all this $$$ and time with braces and not be completely satisfied with my bite....... :? Image